What mixer

• EURODESK SX2442FX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mackie CFX20.mkII

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
my school is buying a new sound mixer and i have found 2 boards that would be suitable and I would like some opinions on them, and suggestions of other boards that might be better.
Can you share why you feel these two models are suitable for your use or what caused you to reject other options? Can you provide information on the application or your needs for the console in order to give people a basis for responding to your request for other options?

As Brad said... knowing your application is a much needed piece of information. Tell us the kind of use. Will you be recording, how many inputs do you need, will you have to expand in the near future, is this a fixed install or does the desk have to move to other areas of the school...... If you get an answer based on your first post you may get exactly the wrong advice.

Mackie is a solid brand; their boards may not be or sound the best, but they will take a heck of a beating, which is why I often recommend them for school settings.

Don't ever buy a Behringer board. Just, don't do it. They're very good at advertising all the 'amazing features' in their equipment, and very bad at making quality sound boards. This isn't just a personal opinion; I'm pretty sure I speak for about 95% of the sound guys on this forum.

Have you considered a digital board at all? I don't think it would be that huge of a price jump and it is certainly worth the money and time saved if you have people who are willing to learn how to use it.

Again, depends on your application, but especially if you are moving around or looking to expand, a digital board might be helpful (expansion slots, no need to schlep an effects/GEQ rack around with you).

Have you considered a digital board at all? I don't think it would be that huge of a price jump and it is certainly worth the money and time saved if you have people who are willing to learn how to use it.
It should probably be noted that the two mixers listed are 16-20 mono and 2 stereo inputs, some basic internal effects and are in the $500 to $750 price range. A digital console with a similar input count would certainly have numerous advantages but would also likely be considerably more cost compared to those models. That is why knowing if cost is a critical factor in the decision would really help.

its going to be in a small theater with 100 seats, it wont be moved offen, we manly mix mics and backing tracks, we have a 8 mono and 4 sterio behringer at the moment.

Any thing else you need to know??

I have used both brands, neither models though.

Behringer I have used some of their mixers and processing on a DJ level and am very content with their equipment. However on a pro level, I don't think it is a good choice.

I have used Mackie products on a pro/theatre level the whole time I have been in the tech theatre and have to say their products are very strong and will would most likely survive an apocolypse. I think the Mackie is your best bet : )

We currently use a Allen and Heath GL3300 - 32 channel. I've been verry happy with it. We also use a Mackie 12 channel and A&H MixWizard (24 channel) with our traveling system.

I've used some of the bigger Mackie's and Behringers at other places. I've never been one to be able to hear the sonic differences between boards. For me, it comes down to features, reliability, etc. My only gripe with the Mackies is that everything is cramped togeather. Behringer does have a cheap look to em.

I will say this - a board with VCAs are probabley out of your price range. My A&H has sub groups, which provide me grouping functionality, since they're not true VCA/DCAs I'm constantly fighting gain structure to keep from clipping at the sub-group level.

I'd look at the Allen & Heath ZED series of mixers as mentioned before (such as this) as well as some of the more compact Soundcraft models.

So what is leading you to change consoles? Is it needing more inputs and is the 16-20 mono and 2 stereo inputs of the consoles noted what you want? Are there any limitations on the maximum physical dimensions of the console? Are two aux outputs sufficient? Is there a budget range that must be maintained? Is both consoles you noted having internal effects and 9 band graphic EQs an indication that such functionality is desired in the new console or just a coincidence?

Understanding what you are looking for is critical, for example if the onboard effects and/or graphic equalizer just happen to be included in the models you noted but are not requirements for a new console then that opens up many more options, while if they are desired capabilities then that would have to be considered in assessing any potential options.

Last edited:
Don't buy a cheap un-reliable board just because it has onboard effects, you can always get outboard effect units and still have a reliable, solid board. Like said before, if your looking for something that is going to last you nearly forever in any setting I would suggest Mackie. Someone mentioned they don't sound good, not sure why someone would say that, you are going to need other processing hardware anyways in most settings, and all we have is a 15 band EQ and it sound pretty darn good.
And most boards this size will have a 3-4 band EQ built in. And 2-6 Aux sends.
If you have the money an Onyx series from Mackie would be nice.
We use a Mackie SLR VLZ 24*4 for, as long as the system has been installed, never stopped working once. Fuse is original, not sure if that makes a difference in reliability or not..
But yeah, minus a few scratchs on the arm rest and dust inbetween the knobs, it's like new : )

Outboard effects unit-

http://www.astralsound.com/effects_units.htm

Don't buy a cheap un-reliable board just because it has onboard effects, you can always get outboard effect units and still have a reliable, solid board. Like said before, if your looking for something that is going to last you nearly forever in any setting I would suggest Mackie. Someone mentioned they don't sound good, not sure why someone would say that, you are going to need other processing hardware anyways in most settings, and all we have is a 15 band EQ and it sound pretty darn good.
And most boards this size will have a 3-4 band EQ built in. And 2-6 Aux sends.
If you have the money an Onyx series from Mackie would be nice.
We use a Mackie SLR VLZ 24*4 for, as long as the system has been installed, never stopped working once. Fuse is original, not sure if that makes a difference in reliability or not..
But yeah, minus a few scratchs on the arm rest and dust inbetween the knobs, it's like new : )

Outboard effects unit-

Effects Units

See honestly, cheap and unreliable are words I'd use to describe Mackie...

To argue that you are going to need external processing and thus that negates the arguments about them not sounding good is insubstantiable and illogical. You can't undo the colouring caused by a console, particularly its preamps, after that has been introduced. As the saying goes, rubbish in, rubbish out. You can have a DLP or an XTA or any of those high end DSPs and they won't be able to get rid of the sound artefacts introduced in the console.

Is this console likely to be moved during its operational lifetime? Problems with ribbon cables cripple certain consoles but if they never move, then these problems don't factor so much, it's vibration that triggers the vast majority of ribbon issues.

An original fuse generally just means the power supply hasn't died. That however is a common problem with Mackies...

Ultimately each of us will have different opinions and stories to tell on any piece of gear. All of them can be used to create art. All can be used to produce a sloppy job...

the console is not going to be moved very often, maybe left and right on to desk to make room to put other stuff (eg: laptop)

We would prefer more than 2 stereo inputs, and we dont need to many aux sends (2-4 would be great) and we only use PFL aux sends to test the stage monitors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back