What mixer

• EURODESK SX2442FX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mackie CFX20.mkII

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
the console is not going to be moved very often, maybe left and right on to desk to make room to put other stuff (eg: laptop)

We would prefer more than 2 stereo inputs, and we dont need to many aux sends (2-4 would be great) and we only use PFL aux sends to test the stage monitors.

If you need more than two stereo inputs you might want to get more channels and pan left-right for each input, because even my schools soundcraft series Two has just 2 stereo inputs.

See honestly, cheap and unreliable are words I'd use to describe Mackie...

To argue that you are going to need external processing and thus that negates the arguments about them not sounding good is insubstantiable and illogical. You can't undo the colouring caused by a console, particularly its preamps, after that has been introduced. As the saying goes, rubbish in, rubbish out. You can have a DLP or an XTA or any of those high end DSPs and they won't be able to get rid of the sound artefacts introduced in the console.

Is this console likely to be moved during its operational lifetime? Problems with ribbon cables cripple certain consoles but if they never move, then these problems don't factor so much, it's vibration that triggers the vast majority of ribbon issues.

An original fuse generally just means the power supply hasn't died. That however is a common problem with Mackies...

Ultimately each of us will have different opinions and stories to tell on any piece of gear. All of them can be used to create art. All can be used to produce a sloppy job...

Hmm, Well like you say we all have our own opinions on things. I just have never had a problem with our Mackie and I have seen a small mackie run through a dishwasher, dried one day and work like new.
I simply said it might need external processig simply because it almost always accurs in system. Most places I have seen at least have an external 15 or 32 band eq.

Yes, you have a point however, our board only moves from the tech storage closest at the end of the season, sits there over the summer, then moves back to the booth for the year.

Just keep in mind that with increasing international competition pushing prices lower, RoHS compliance, offshore manufacturing, etc., some of the products manufacturers offer today may not be up to the standards of the past as far as durability and reliability, especially when discussing entry level products. Also, be wary with comments based on a manufacturer or brand rather than a specific model or series. Some manufacturers offer a wide range of products that may reflect not only a range of functionality and capability, but also potentially of durability and reliability. In this case, the Mackie CFX20.mkII console noted is $750 while the current version of the venerable Mackie 1604 is about $900. Is it realistic to expect a console that has the same basic I/O, adds output EQ and internal effects and yet only costs around 83% as much to be of the same quality?

I would think that the relatively small increase in price for something like an Allen & Heath ZED-22 FX or Soundcraft MFXi 20 may be justified, however neither have any output EQ so adding that would increase the cost and complexity a bit. But if you could go up to around $1,000 to $1,100 then a ZED-22 FX or MFXi 20 along with an ART, dbx or Peavey dual channel 15 (2/3 octave) or 31 band (1/3 octave) EQ might be a good option. If you are limited to a $750 budget, then your options are also rather limited.

the Allen & Heath ZED428 looks good, apparently you can use the USB for effects, and we can just use 2 other channels for stereo if we need more like studio suggested.

I purchased a Peavey FX24 a year ago and I absolutely love that mixer. It is a 20 channel with 2 stereo inputs and only cost $1200. The best thing about this mixer is that the outboard rack is built into it. Includes 2 each of the following: 31 band EQs, compressor limiters, digital effects lines, delay lines and feedback ferrets. It also has a USB output on the back for a flashdrive and will record MP3s to it, plus another USB out that will record digital sound directly to a computer.

This mixer comes in 3 sizes: 12, 20, and 28 XLR channels
Peavey.com : Products : FX Series

I would also like to talk about Mackie products. I work at a large city wide venue (Von Braun Center) that used to use Mackie products exclusively. These six mixers were 8 or 12 channels, well cared for but moved around frequently. In the first years came the small problems: controls getting pushed in and an input would stop working, in the following few years came the big problems: banks of channels going out and outputs quit working. Now after 5 years we have replaced them all with Yamaha mixers which seem to be performing really well.

Last edited:
A used Allen & Heath MixWiz would be a much better choice:

Much better channel EQ.

Much easier (and thus much less expensive) to repair when it finally breaks (and they all do eventually).

I agree with those who advise against Behringer. There's a reason why at my theatre "Crapingers" are our scape goats. (I wont get into it atm) I'm sure I'm stepping on some toes here, but I also want to advise against the lower end Mackies. I've had many noise issues from these boards. The only Mackies I didnt mind, were the 32ch onyx series boards.

Go with an A&H GL2400. the GL2400 is quite versatile, well laid out, and sonically solid. No qualms about that.

For theatre, though, I always try and recomend the Yamaha LS9 or M7CL (even the 01V Rev. 2) multiple omni outs plus the ability to set "scenes" allows you to set your levels, monitor feeds, eq's, etc for each scene or cue and advance through them during a show just by recalling scenes. The LS9 and M7CL are nice too, because they come fully loaded with effects, comps, gates, etc on each channel, and you can assign full graph eq's to your outputs. Fully parametric EQ on each channel makes for wonderful control. The LS9 and M7CL also are remotely controlled by a laptop or tablet via Yamaha's studio manager.
One last gem. the LS9 has a built in capeability to be able to play mp3's off a flash drive.
more pricey, but you get so much in a solid board.

I agree with those who advise against Behringer. There's a reason why at my theatre "Crapingers" are our scape goats. (I wont get into it atm) I'm sure I'm stepping on some toes here, but I also want to advise against the lower end Mackies. I've had many noise issues from these boards. The only Mackies I didnt mind, were the 32ch onyx series boards.

Go with an A&H GL2400. the GL2400 is quite versatile, well laid out, and sonically solid. No qualms about that.

For theatre, though, I always try and recomend the Yamaha LS9 or M7CL (even the 01V Rev. 2) multiple omni outs plus the ability to set "scenes" allows you to set your levels, monitor feeds, eq's, etc for each scene or cue and advance through them during a show just by recalling scenes. The LS9 and M7CL are nice too, because they come fully loaded with effects, comps, gates, etc on each channel, and you can assign full graph eq's to your outputs. Fully parametric EQ on each channel makes for wonderful control. The LS9 and M7CL also are remotely controlled by a laptop or tablet via Yamaha's studio manager.
One last gem. the LS9 has a built in capeability to be able to play mp3's off a flash drive.
more pricey, but you get so much in a solid board.

I love our venue's new LS9-32, and I'm still uncovering all of the amazing things i can do with it as I go through the manual and just play around. That said. either of the LS9's are so out of the price range for the the OP and possible out of the "operation" ability of perhaps others that would use it, program or set it up for others to use. There is basic rock solid simplicity to a small board with 2 aux's and stereo outs. Some venues and personnel are not ready to start messing with lots of compressors, gate's, eq and crazy stuff in little one off shows you get 45 minutes to set up for :)

I do second the the awesomeness that is the LS9. I've used A&H boards and they are pretty solid the GL2400 being one i've played with. Though i like the Fader movement/Feel on the Yamaha MG14fx more so. (I's closer to your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back