Control/Dimming New to DMX; Obey 70 ?

I'm a youth minister with a really low budget but in order to get our youth room up to date somewhat, I personally have been buying light fixtures and a light board out of pocket. Currently I have 8 Chauvet par 38 86b fixtures, 2 XStatic Eagles, and 1 Chauvet 6 spot LED fixture. These are all controlled via a Chauvet Obey 70. So far I have been able to program basic scenes of different colors and have been able to move the XStatic Eaglss using the joystick in manual mode. But I have no idea how to program those moving heads into scenes. Please help! If the Obey 70 is incapable of doing this, please mention a lighting console I can do this with for under $250. I know it's not much, but its out of pocket for me. Thanks in advance

What is wrong with your Obey 70? It is in your price range. Elation has the Magic 260 but that is on the order of $600.

Last edited:
Nothing is "wrong" with it. I'm trying to figure out how to program scenes that when pressed will not only change the colors to what is programmed but how to program the moving lights to for example rotate 360• while being red. Does that make sense? Right now all I can program is the color for a scene. What I meant in my first post is that if that is not possible with my Obey70 then I'm willing to buy another board.

I read the manual for the Obey 70. It may not be possible. Most of the simple light controllers that are capable of handling moving lights are a bit more expensive than your price point - at least the ones with which I am familiar. The least expensive is on the order of $600.

A thought - would you rather buy something twice (or several times) or once? It maybe that you should find donors (not yourself) to buy a more capable board - perhaps even beyond the $600 range. Some of them are $2000-2500.

Nothing is "wrong" with it. I'm trying to figure out how to program scenes that when pressed will not only change the colors to what is programmed but how to program the moving lights to for example rotate 360• while being red. Does that make sense? Right now all I can program is the color for a scene. What I meant in my first post is that if that is not possible with my Obey70 then I'm willing to buy another board.

You should be able to do that. The 70 has 30 banks of 8 scenes. Your first scene would be your start position with the unit in red, your second scene would be the end position with the unit still in red. Simply moving from scene 1 to scene 2 would than produce that effect.

I agree with John, you can do what you are looking for with the 70.

A scene is a static "look", the change from scene to scene is the movement you're looking for. With the 70, you can stack scenes into chases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back