New to DMX

1. Don't plug anything that accepts dmx into a dimmer circuit.

2. Data cables go from controller to the first fixture/dimmer, then to the next, and to the next.

3. You should always have less than 24 fixtures on a dmx run.

4. If you have more fixtures than that, get a splitter. Never use a Y cable.

5. Invest in a terminator for each dmx run.

6. Accept the fact that dmx cable is technically 5 pin xlr, but that in many cases, the fixture manufacturer only has 3-pin ports. You may need some 3/5 pin adapters. Also, accept the fact that when some people mention dmx and 3-pin in the same sentence, they're still talking about the transmission of dmx data even though 3-pin is not part of the standard.

7. NEVER EVER EVER NEVER use dmx to move hoists, fire pyro, or a lot of other things it "can" do. Use it to control lights and fog machines ONLY.

1. Don't plug anything that accepts dmx into a dimmer circuit.
Since you want to put your strobes on an electric, this probably means you'll have to swag an extension cord off the batten and to a wall outlet. You're going to have a DMX cable also, so might as well plan the path for both. If you have Sensor dimmers, you can eliminate the need to run an extension cord by replacing a dimmer module with an R20, CC20, or ThruPower module to provide non-dimmed power. Other dimmer manufacturers may offer a similar non-dim solution.

2. Data cables go from controller to the first fixture/dimmer, then to the next, and to the next.
elliot47, on the back of your Express are two DMX512 outputs, female 5pin XLRs, labeled "1-512" and "513-1024". The first port probably goes to your dimmer rack (s). You'll need a cable long enough to run from the second port to the first DMX device (strobe, moving light, scroller, DMX iris, etc.) and then daisy chain to subsequent devices. The ports don't HAVE to be assigned those numbers--under "System Settings" they're identified as Port 1 and Port 2 and may be set to any valid DMX range.

3. You should always have less than 24 fixtures on a DMX run.
32. (You may have chosen 24 as an arbitrary "comfortable" number.) Technically, 32 is not correct either*, but it's the number most commonly bandied about. An opto-splitter extends this limit, as well as likely makes the cable runs more convenient.

6. You may need some 3/5 pin adapters.
Adapter 5-3 and adapter, 3-5 may be used anywhere in the chain as necessary.

...A splitter will cut down on your cable runs. You should also take a look at the number of DMX devices you put on a single DMX run. The ANSI version of DMX says 32 unit loads. While that may not necessarily be 32 physical devices it's good practice to not put more than that on a run. You also need to make sure you have a DMX termination for the end device of each run of DMX cable. As along as all your DMX cables are up to spec. that should eliminate any random flickering of your lights. ...

See also Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion) - ControlBooth . While a strobe is not technically a moving light, it IS a multi-parameter fixture; therefore more closely related than to conventional fixtures (dimmers).

Last edited:
Ok so I plug the device directly into the back of the board? What powers the device? Also how do I assign the 2 channel strobe channels on the board? And lastly what do I do if I decide I need leds and strobes? I don't have a 3rd DMX input on my board.

Ok so I plug the device directly into the back of the board?
Essentially, yes, via a long 5pin XLR cable. This provides data (DMX) to the fixture. It also requires power:
... What powers the device?
The power plug (probably a male Edison) that you plug into the wall receptacle, again via a long extension cord.
...Also how do I assign the 2 channel strobe channels on the board?
You set the address on the device, either by dipswitch or LED menu. Then you go into the console's Patch screen and patch the "dimmers" for the device into control channels. Alternatively, you can write or acquire a fixture personality profile for the strobe for the Express.
...And lastly what do I do if I decide I need leds and strobes? I don't have a 3rd DMX input on my board.
Output. You daisy chain the fixtures, up to a maximum of 32 devices on one data line. Virtually all DMX devices/fixtures have a Data (DMX) Input and a Data Output (may be labeled as "Data Thru").

Simple sample diagram:
6346-new-dmx-dmx2.jpg

Doug Fleenor Design - DMX Basics

Click on the words with a dotted yellow underline to be taken to the wiki entry for that term.

What is the make and model number of your particular strobe light?

Attachments

• dmx2.jpg
    dmx2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
Doesn't Vari-Lite now make ...
They have, since the introduction of the VL5 in 1992. Some versions of the VL500 and VL1100 current models also permit this, those that don't have an integral dimmer. As well as the Martin TW1. But movers with incandescent sources are the exception, rather than the rule; and as Pie4Weebl said, they still need a non-dimmed source for the electronics and motors.

Doesn't Vari-Lite now make DMX movers that plug into a regular dimmer to control the light output?

Jack

Regardless, I didn't want someone with limited experience to be running dmx-based fixtures on dimmer circuits. It's also why I didn't suggest, as Derek did, that dimmer modules could be replaced in their dimmer rack. I figured it was best for the OP to learn some basic stuff without bombarding with too much info.

To the original poster: As for dmx/data/control cable, basically, it's xlr cable. The best dmx-quality cable will have been made specifically for dmx transmission. Mic cables sometimes work, but using them CAN lead to errors in signal, etc., and will drive you absolutely crazy trying to track down errors. IMO, it's not worth it. Spend the money on proper dmx quality cable. Some of it will only have 3-pin xlr connectors, but will still be fine. The correct standard has 5-pin, but details on that are for another day. Learn about one aspect first, then gain your knowledge bit by bit.

Maybe it would be best to start at the beginning.
1. How many dimmers do you have?
2. Do you understand what a DMX universe is?
3. Dipswitches set addresses in that universe. Don't try to figure it out, use a chart.
4. What strobs do you own. Model and company.
5. Do you understand what we mean when we say daiseychain?
6. Always place a terminater at the end of any DMX run.
7. With an Express you are limited on DMX addresses even though it will output two universes.

This is not to make you feel like you know nothing, it just makes it easier to tell you what to do. Many forget how big a mystery it is when you start into DMX initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back