Control/Dimming Non-Permanent Shutdown Procedures

Portable: Do you remove power from dimmer racks/PDs at night?

• Total voters
PS: In my HS there were 2 sets of double doors to exit/enter the backstage area to the corridor that leads between the Band, orchestra, and chior rooms and the practice rooms and music teachers storage and whatnot areas. All of those performing groups would utilize the stage on the regular, but only the far door had the switch for the backstage bright fluorescent lights. So it was standard practice to leave the center batten blue on 24 x 7. So that was 24 x 250 watts = 6000 watts x 24 x 4 or 576,000 / 1000 so... 576 kWh... x .15 so... $86.40 in weekly utility costs.

A $25.00 wall timer was not in the budget.

The NEC does not govern anything beyond the permanent fixed electrical installation. Cord & plug or, connectorized utilization equipment is governed by local building codes and vary depending upon the use/ occupancy of a building or structure
Not exactly correct. Section 520 of the NEC is specifically about portable systems that are used in the entertainment industry.

The NEC does not govern anything beyond the permanent fixed electrical installation. Cord & plug or, connectorized utilization equipment is governed by local building codes and vary depending upon the use/ occupancy of a building or structure. Loosely translated that means I can plug 6-way adaptors into every duplex receptacle in my house and run 6 things at once, drape extension cords over curtain rods, and put a 250-watt heat lamp bulb into my bedside lamp socket. Smart? No... but an electrical code enforcement officer or authority having jurisdiction could not "violate" it. But would likely notify the buildings or public safety department which in some areas is the very same person anyway.
Err...I'm afraid not. In fact, emphatically not.

NEC articles cover all sorts of portable equipment installation methods and materials. The ones most familiar to the entertainment industry are:

400-Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables
518-Assembly Occupancies
520-Theaters, Audience Areas of Motion Picture and Television Studios, Performance Areas, and Similar Locations
525-Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and Similar Events
530-Motion Picture and Television Studios and Remote Locations

ST

ST reporting for duty.

Generally, permanent equipment is located in access-controlled rooms. Portable power distribution gear is not. If unqualified persons gained access to the portable equipment, there is a real potential safety issue, IMHO.

No specific NEC requirement to do so, but I think it makes sense to power down portable gear when not supervised by qualified personnel. Plus, in 2023 there is the vampire power consideration.

ST
Thanks Steve! That'll do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back