Vintage Lighting Old Kliegl light bulbs

Hello all

Our small volunteer theatre uses 6 (now 5) massive kliegl lights Model
2186. Last night we blew a bulb. Does anyone have any knowledge of any
replacements? While the lights are old they are much loved for their “soft”
light.

Micheal
23382_4945861239024_636430001_n.jpg

Wattage and size of the lamp would help us help you. I don't find a Kliegl 2186 in my database.

The lamp appears to be a 1M/T24/5, 1500T24/6, or 2M/T30/1, as used in 8" and larger "cannon" ERS s from the 1950s/60s. Type those codes in at Don's Bulbs, but be prepared to pay dearly, and I mean, your first born and probably your second as well. It's likely cheaper to replace with a new Source Four rather than buy a rare bulb.

Now, if you're willing to pay less and get more light output, there might be a suitable tungsten-halogen retrofit lamp available.

[EDIT: Oh wait: this? $50 is not bad! The one pictured at Interlight looks like its filament is in the wrong place. Might be a stock, representative photo, not of the actual lamp. I suspect yours has an LCL of 6.5". Call them and ask for ALL the specifications.]

Last edited:
Believe your LCL is 6.1/2" (Lamp Center Length - at Bot of Ceramic Base - Where Pins Come Out, to the center of the filament.) This is based off the 1500T24/6 specifications.

Assuming the wiring and fixture is in good condition, most modern halogen lamps CYV, CXZ, or CYX are a 5" LCL for lamp center direct replacement. Done this with a c.1948 Century #1560 in mounting a CYV to it for rental that was displaying old guitars and wanted old lights for it also. 1.5" difference between the modern halogen replacement lamp and the lamp replaced.

Now how can anyone ever overcome this problem of 1.5" in difference between LCL and where you need to be? Took a few hours and some spacer plates plus some longer screws etc. in changing hardware out some - much of the time was spent on bench focus in fact. My crew loved the work in modifying and bench focusing the above and a 3Kw Kliegl Dyna Beam for the same show that needed lamps as it were lamped down or at least lamps that could be replaced. Was fun and engineering for them, but also in the case of the Century #1560, something that was also a really unsafe fixture to be bench focusing - exposed terminals and all. Kept all of us on our toes as they adjusted for bench focus the new lamps in modified seat heights given tools in near proximity to live terminals. This with me as per an “expert” but never really worked with them standing over my skilled electricians as they did their work so as to ensure they as it were didn’t loose focus.

See you have a volunteer theater/staff. Assume you will not be there the night even an upgraded fixture needs a replacement lamp. Can be done with power down and kids/vounteer staff do all kids of stuff in a responsible way, but all kinds of cautions even after any such upgrade to fit a new lamp to an old fixture of this type in lamp changing. You need the fixtures is respected, and no doubt on replacement list, can be upgraded but the caution on installing further lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back