Control/Dimming OpenSource DMX Lighting/Show Software

Hi,
Great forum ~ I was wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions they could give. I'm looking to have some lighting software to install on my laptop to use occasionally at work instead of our Zero88 Desk.
I used to like the look/interface of the Marquee/Horizon software as it was easy to use and record cues etc.
I would be grateful to know if there are any opensource/free programs that will do this with a readily available USB-DMX adaptor ?

Many Thanks in advance

Graham

Cue Player Lighting (disclaimer: my software) has an interface very similar to the old Horizon software. We were using Horizon at Blackfriars, so all the operators were familiar with it and I saw no reason to change drastically. You can use either Enttec Pro or DMX King adaptors. Unfortunately, it is not free.

There are oodles of freeware DMX controller software programs out there. Unfortunately, to be honest, many of them suck. There's a million different versions of faders-on-your-computer-screen, and most of them have very little real programming functionality. Freestyler is one that some bands that I know of with their own lighting rigs use, and they seem to like it well enough. I don't have any experience with it. Here's what I'd recommend:

You can get Martin M-PC, which is the phenomenal PC version of the Martin M-Series (M1, M6, M2GO) software on your computer. You can have one free universe of Art-Net output or one free universe via the Enttec USB-DMX interfaces.

You can get Chamsys MagicQ PC, which is a decent program albeit a bit harder to wrap your head around (in my experience). It's the same kinda thing as M-PC: it's the PC version of a real console OS (in this case, the Chamsys MagicQ line of consoles). You can get the MagicQ Magic DMX interface for $100, or if you're willing to deal with only 5 hours of continuous use at a time (designed for demo use), only $16. You can buy it on the Chamsys website here.

I use freestyler, and for me, it was easier to learn than other software. Once you "get it", it's good. There's things I feel that are lacking, but for free software I think it's decent.

Download a couple different software packages and see which one you like best.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Enttec USB Interface which didn't look too bad a price to purchase. I'll have a look at the suggestions that have been made, I've looked at ShowXpress which had some nice features but had different pop up windows/interfaces.
I liked the look and feel of Marquee/Horizon as it was easy to set cues/cue lists and to 'GO' them ShowXpress seemed to just run a series of steps created at each level, but the colour palette was nice on it to select a fixture and choose a colour which is sent to the DMX Channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back