Organizing audio gear - adapters and such

Sayen

First off, I work at a public high school. We have a very active auditorium run by technical theater students. So lots of hands, some more trained than others, and a small selection of gear covering a wide variety of uses.

I've been going crazy trying to get our audio system organized. I HATE sorting through bins trying to figure out where someone stashed a 1/4" to Neutrik adapter, or why is the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter mixed in with the DI boxes, or why can't anyone separate 5-pin adapters for lighting out of the audio bins already! A year or so back we bought some large plastic drawer units that seem to help, but I haven't found a decent way to divide up gear. Any tips? Plans that work for other people? I don't have enough of each adapter or specialty cable to put it in it's own bin, but organization is a must with untrained individuals.

I saw a school once with four labeled drawers: Audio adapters, Random, Misc, and Stuff. I laughed at the time, but I'm feeling like that may be our best bet.

Big plastic tackle boxes seem to work if you have a small selection of audio stuff. A quick google search led me to gander mountain. Even still you have to get the kids to put away the gear thats the hardest part.

Tackle Box links

I would put pictures of each adaptor, or each set of adaptors that goes in a bin on that bin. Maybe do a side view, and a view of the male and female connectors, so people could better match them up. I would also laminate them if at all possible.

buy 4 cans of spray paint and paint each adapter the colour of the bin you want it in, this will also mark out what is your venues gear and what belongs to visitors.
Be careful not to get the paint on the contacts.

Great idea, how about instead of spray paint, using a dot or slash of nail polish, it comes in just about every color and they even have some cool sparkly colors too. I know here in Oklahoma it can be a hassle to buy spray paint since it now has to be kept locked up in stores.

Great ideas. I like color codes - we did that with cable. It doesn't help with getting it out, but it sure helps with putting it back away. I bought the mistints/mistake colors at the hardware store left over from other people, used the heavy duty paints, and just put a small tag on both ends of each cable for length and type.

What I've done in venues with lots of overhire is use the nail polish to color code what area they go to, and then just budget in the time for whatever house staff is there to sort after events. That way all the audio adapters make their way back to audio world, and then its really just about 10 or 15 minutes for me to quickly sort them and put them away. I just tackle boxes to sort them out.

Another thought. You can an assortment of colored rolls of electrical tape. Not as many colors available - but a reasonable number. Not too expensive. If you get a reasonable type of tape it won't get sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back