Control/Dimming Outdoor Oceanside Friendly Dimmer Rack/Pack

I'd think liquid cooling a modular dimming rack would be quite a challenge. Short of immersing the entire thing in mineral oil and hoping for the best, each major heat producing component (or heatsink attacked thereto) in each module would have to have its own heat exchange block, plus all the tubing, disconnects, etc... Can't imagine it ending well at all.

Can I coat the inside connections with some kind of thick gel or epoxy to keep it from corroding?

side note: the enclosures from Tempest are awesome, but I don't see anything for dimmers, but this might help with the fixtures. Thanks, Les.

Is there a reason you can't use a portable rack and just maintain it well? Spend some money to set the rest of your system up so it's really easy to just roll in the rack plug in and go. When the show is over just disconnect and throw it on a truck or roll it into a dressingroom. Yeah, it's a little hassle but you should get years of reliable use as long as you give it a good annual cleaning.

Is there a reason you can't use a portable rack and just maintain it well? Spend some money to set the rest of your system up so it's really easy to just roll in the rack plug in and go. When the show is over just disconnect and throw it on a truck or roll it into a dressingroom. Yeah, it's a little hassle but you should get years of reliable use as long as you give it a good annual cleaning.

This is EXACTLY what we've been doing. I've realized real issue here is this, I work for an entertainment subcontractor, and our contractor owns the equipment and they maintain it whenever they want, if at all, and when they do they send it to a SOUND company for maintenance and they don't do a very good job. So basically we need to get our own equipment to do the job , and we need something that will be reliable and work decent out doors that we can maintain ourselves when we need to.

You said that you are not allowed to actually build a shed to contain your dimmers. Would you be able to get a small uhaul-type trailer and install whatever climate control system you need in it?

You said that you are not allowed to actually build a shed to contain your dimmers. Would you be able to get a small uhaul-type trailer and install whatever climate control system you need in it?

Not a bad Idea! And when shows aren't running, take it inland a bit. Twist a few Soco's and Cam-locs and you are on your way.

Also, wonder if you could special request ETC to MFP their boards on a special build. That would cut down on trace and component damage, just can't do it on trim pots or connectors. Miller Stevens makes a whole line of conformal coatings. Product Listing | Miller Stephenson

Not a bad Idea! And when shows aren't running, take it inland a bit. Twist a few Soco's and Cam-locs and you are on your way.

Also, wonder if you could special request ETC to MFP their boards on a special build. That would cut down on trace and component damage, just can't do it on trim pots or connectors. Miller Stevens makes a whole line of conformal coatings. Product Listing | Miller Stephenson

You need to be a bit careful adding conformal coatings post-manufacture. They can totally change the thermal characteristics of the product, negate the listing, and void the warranty. I would say "Don't do it".

As to whether ETC would conformally coat a product as a custom, the answer is likely to be no. We want to help our customers, but this would be a difficult one to do from an economics, time, and compliance point-of-view.

ST

I would seriously look at the use of LED fixtures as the previous post had said. Using enclosures or building a dimmer room with AC would be quite costly (permits!), and you'd be better off billing it as equipment upgrade/replacement and switch to LED's entirely. I doubt the enclosures for movers are made for the overall heat of multiple dimmer racks, but maybe I'm wrong. I worked by the ocean in South Fla and I have spent many hours fixing and replacing salt-damaged units, and all in all an ip-rated LED goes much further with power consumption with minimal damage. The Source4 LED Ellipsoidals are pushing pretty high for a leko, so you may want to start with wash LED's and see how you feel. Once the last rack is kaput you should have no issues asking for new fixtures to cover the shows. Good luck, and remember: I love jet noise.

It seems to me that LED instruments would just move the problem from the dimmer to the light. After all, there is a fair amount of electronics inside those lights with mechanical connections like addressing switches and internal connections that can oxidize and fail, too. At least there are methods to make the dimmer rack more reliable. I cannot say the same for the LED light, unless there are some that are completely weather sealed.

As for conformal coatings, I don't think that would solve the problem. The issue is not corrosion of components like semiconductors, resistors, capacitors, etc. The issue is oxidation of mechanical connections like those found in switches, ribbon cable connectors, circuit breakers, card edge sockets, dip sockets, etc. You can't coat those.

I see the Source Four LED being mentioned here, but isn't that just a more expensive solution than risking some dimmers? As far as I know, the Source Four LED is rated for indoor use only (same to be said for the dimmer packs, but they can be cheaper and easier to house/remove and store).

Until you get a proper instillation, I would say your best bet is to keep doing what your doing, and keep up with the maintenance as much as possible. As mentioned before, maybe you could build an impromptu home for the touring rack out of plywood and a few room air conditioners, but long term a more permanent enclosure would be best. Salt is absolutely evil to electronics. When we were on vacation in N.C. I stumbled on a few power amps someone was tossing, I figured what the heck, maybe I can fix them. Took them home and found the insides totally corroded and beyond hope.

I see the Source Four LED being mentioned here, but isn't that just a more expensive solution than risking some dimmers? As far as I know, the Source Four LED is rated for indoor use only (same to be said for the dimmer packs, but they can be cheaper and easier to house/remove and store).

It's nowhere close to being suited for an outdoor life. It would have all of the problems that any ERS has with being outside in the weather, and then all of the potential electronics problems to throw on top of them. I could see buying some inexpensive IP 65 LED par cans for wash units to help reduced the dimmers that would be needed though.

I'm not sure if it was addressed yet, but could you not just have a station with male pigtails hanging down? Have the dimmers in a roadcase and pull it up and patch it in when it's needed, pull it away and store it indoors after each performance. Only works well if you have Edison outputs on your dimmers though. Seems like it would be worth the time - a dimmer exposed to rain or moisture is not covered by any warranty or insurance should it go up in flames and possibly injure someone or cause property damage.

Personally I would get a trailer with the dimmers mounted inside soco connection accessible through a panel on the outside same with cam and 2 rv AC units on top. You can find trailers partially completed this way if you keep your eyes open for "toy haulers". If you look really hard you can find some units with large generators on them. A while back I found one that was setup to be a mobile lab complete with a large inside work area all air conditioned, bathroom, and a 75kva MQ genset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back