PA Shopping

QSC and Crown both have a range of products and traditionally have been direct competitors on almost all levels. Crown seemed to run into a string of some products with reliability issues and while I believe that has greatly been addressed as far as new product production, it has led to some long repair times. A discussion on another forum a couple of days ago showed 25-45 days being pretty typical for repairs (although I don't how many of those were warranty repairs).

Going through a professional dealer does have some potential advantages. For example, in some cases failures while under warranty are addressed by sending out a replacement amp to the dealer and then their sending the bad one back rather than by you sending the bad amp in to be repaired and returned.

So I suppose either way if I choose QSC or Crown basically as long as I pick a good product line I can't go wrong with their products? It's not like I'm buying the Chauvet of the lighting industry.

So I've been talking to my supplier that's local and he says he likes Senhizer over Shure because of the features that the Senhizer offers over Shure. Does anyone have recommendations either way or what features might be better in the two? I'm looking at the SLX Series from Shure unless you have recommendations on why I'd want to go with the ULX Series.

Also I've narrowed it down to what I'd like to do with this setup. I'll be using it for some corporate / client gigs where its just presentations and speaking to a room full of people. However I'd also like to use it for Vocal Reinforcement. Such as choir singing, and reinforcement for instrumental (classical type) music. So I'll be using it for live music reinforcement but not things like rock, metal, bands such as that. More of the Choir, Strings, and other classical type.

Anyone? -content fill-

I've always been a fan of Shure wireless.
As I see it the advantages of ULX over SLX are:
expandability, # of available frequencies and lack of the sync feature.

I've only used the SLX series so I can't address the differences. I have used Seinheiser on a couple of occasions but only as a guest speaker mic. I have been told they are very good but I have frame of reference.
QSC/Crown question, either are very good. I personally went with QSC because I have a local dealer. I was told by a big sound company this summer that they dumped alR CCrowns because of lack of service.

hmm well in that case Shure it is for the Mics and QSC and Crown are still up for debate. I can get either locally, but never had experience with the service side of either. I've used crown before never had an issue but who knows.

The Line 6 XD-V70 wireless systems are next on my wireless purchasing list. The reason for this is not brand preference, pattern, or any of the typical "mic preference" issues; it is because the FCC is gearing up to take away another big chunk of radio spectrum that is used by most RF mics. For small, portable users like you and me, there will be no alternative except to realize we are the smallest users, that we are not a more important priority to the FCC than cell phone companies, and we'll have to deal with potentially continuing changes to the RF spectrum available for our use.

Rather than risk losing what little spectrum they will leave us with after the next round of changes, and painting myself into another "buy new wireless and trash the old, because no one else can use it either," corner, I am going 2.4GHz. The Line 6 2.4GHz product uses the same RF spectrum as many wireless routers, bluetooth, etc. and it would be virtually impossible for the FCC to revoke this spectrum; and it is not useful for cell phone companies either.

These systems cost about $500, are aimed right at users like us, and come in both hand-held and lav variety: Wireless Microphone | XD-V Digital Wireless Microphone | Line 6

Since your customers are unlikely to require a certain wireless unit/capsule (and if they do, you can rent) I would strongly suggest you go with the most "future-proof" system you can get. Currently, neither Shure nor Sennheiser have a direct competitor to this Line 6 product; but it's hard to imagine that they won't adopt similar technology eventually.

As far as ordinary wired mics, again, since your users are unlikely to request specific mics, I would suggest you just buy SM58s, the most commonly requested vocal microphone. Yes, you can buy cheaper mics that still say Shure or Sennheiser; but it is not worth the compromise in product recognition or durability IMO.

For the wired I was defiantly looking at the 58s. The biggest question is what would be good for vocal singing (think choir not heavy metal or country).

As for the 2.4 Ghz range id be concerned about interference because of the amount of devices that use the spectrum. I wonder how those work out.

The Line 6 XD-V70 wireless systems are next on my wireless purchasing list. The reason for this is not brand preference, pattern, or any of the typical "mic preference" issues; it is because the FCC is gearing up to take away another big chunk of radio spectrum that is used by most RF mics. For small, portable users like you and me, there will be no alternative except to realize we are the smallest users, that we are not a more important priority to the FCC than cell phone companies, and we'll have to deal with potentially continuing changes to the RF spectrum available for our use.

Rather than risk losing what little spectrum they will leave us with after the next round of changes, and painting myself into another "buy new wireless and trash the old, because no one else can use it either," corner, I am going 2.4GHz. The Line 6 2.4GHz product uses the same RF spectrum as many wireless routers, bluetooth, etc. and it would be virtually impossible for the FCC to revoke this spectrum; and it is not useful for cell phone companies either.
I think many people have much the opposite perspective. The changes to the VHF and UHF spectrum are pretty well decided for now other than working out the details. Sure, there may be future changes but that applies to any RF spectrum. As part of the most recent changes, wireless mics operating in the VHF and especially UHF spectrum have finally been directly addressed and concepts such 'safe harbor' frequencies in each market for wireless mic operation and a database for larger venues that need additional spectrum have been established. So small users such as yourself do now have a defined, protected spectrum for unlicensed wireless mic use and it is in the UHF band.

Conversely, because of the demand by some wireless telecom and data groups for more spectrum that you noted I can see the FCC deciding that since wireless mics have now been provided a 'home' in other spectrum, they could potentially be banned or made a tertiary users in other spectrum such as the crowded 900MHz and 2.4GHz spectrum already heavily used by wireless telecom and data services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back