PAR Cans

Esoteric

We removed these PARCans from a church. Please don't let this happen to your inventory.

Mike

Attachments

• 20130327_150852.jpg
    20130327_150852.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 20130327_150917.jpg
    20130327_150917.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 20130327_150947.jpg
    20130327_150947.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 20130327_150951.jpg
    20130327_150951.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 359
Dear god, why do people think that was a good idea to just keep on swapping out lamps with it in that condition?

Dunno. There were six more hanging there, but we didn't touch them.

My favorite part / most scary part is the cable clamp used in the last pic... scary.

~Dave

*Derek, you beat me to it.

Last edited:
What is the reason for using the terminal blocks (sugar cubes)? I always thought it was a way to transition from the high temp fiberglass leads of the socket to the cheaper rubber whip on many lower priced pars. Any time I rewired a 'China Par', I just took the socket leads all the way to the connector. While I was in there, I'd remove the cable gland and add a more traditional strain relief along with new fiberglass sheath in its place. I'd also run a high temp ground wire and bond it to the inside of the back cap.

No blocks, no wire nuts, etc.

In this case at some point the units needed new ceramics and instead of rewiring the whip or replacing the connectors inside the ceramic, the just took a new ceramic, cut the wires and wire nutted them into the whip.

Not the way we would rewire PARcans, if we rewired PARcans (which we don't, we just buy new ones).

Mike

What is the reason for using the terminal blocks (sugar cubes)? I always thought it was a way to transition from the high temp fiberglass leads of the socket to the cheaper rubber whip on many lower priced pars. Any time I rewired a 'China Par', I just took the socket leads all the way to the connector. While I was in there, I'd remove the cable gland and add a more traditional strain relief along with new fiberglass sheath in its place. I'd also run a high temp ground wire and bond it to the inside of the back cap.

No blocks, no wire nuts, etc.

Makes socket replacement a whole lot faster. And with a 6 bar you can't run the socket leads all the way to the connector.

we use "Parsafe", much safer especially on 240 volts

Never trust an old PAR can before a close inspection! In my early days, the first few generations of PAR sockets were composed of two ceramic halves held together with screws and nuts. After a few months on the road, the screws would fall off and when you went to twist the lamp you got a "surprise handshake!" Didn't take too many of those before I was pulling every can apart and hitting the screw heads and nuts with high-temp GE silicon, something that probably should have been done at the factory. New sockets are riveted for the most part, so that problem is history. Now enter the "sugar cube." Seems many manufacturers (mainly Chinese) are a little too worried about over-tightening them. Nothing like a stray wire floating around the fixture! As mentioned before, there are times a splice is the only thing that works. But outside of that, a single piece socket and whip is the way to go.

I can see the reasoning for sugar cubes in a permanently wired 6 bar, but otherwise, I really dislike any sort of splices in a PAR can. It's just another thing to come apart and shock me.

Hey Esoteric, I'd be more than happy to take any ratty old pars you might have lying around ;).

(Except for the Chinese ones. Recycle those in to something useful, like soda cans :) )

I can understand tossing a Chinese PAR when the socket goes bad, but if it was an Altman can in decent shape, I'd be inclined to rewire it.

hi, the connecting point by soldering?if yes, it is dangerous!!!

Sorry, those went directly into the dumpster.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back