Par the led

Dreadpoet

It has been some time since the discussion has come up and I am needing buying advice. I have a 350 seat theatre. Currently I use 165q fresnels for down/back light on stage. I would like to slowly change these out with LED parcans. The throw is from about 15ft. I usually only have these fresnels at 50% capacity of there BTL lamps and would like to find about the same in a parcan.

I would like to find a 15Degree Led Parcan that can do color mixing (preferably rbga) for under a 1k. Obviously I'm looking for durablity/longevity/ and smooth fades.

Any discussion would be welcomed.

Same here. Looking to replace 9 colorpros. With lamps at $100 and the cost of replacing motors I want to know how much it will cost to replace them with LED's

Take a look at these: LED Fixtures | The Black Tank
Pro quality theatrical fixtures: high power (50W, 1200 lumens); high PWM rate (flicker free); smooth dimming; tungsten fade; 8 or 16bit DMX, adjustable beam angle (16degree native); ultra-compact (4"x4"x4"); extruded aluminum chassis.. no plastic.
The fixtures and company are brand new.. introduced at LDI last year. They offer free demos so you can try them before you buy. $780 MSRP.

Last edited:
I would like to find a 15Degree Led Parcan that can do color mixing (preferably rbga) for under a 1k. ...
Why 15 degree? Do you want a 1-to-1 swap with your 6"Fresnels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to be a little cautious about slowly adding LEDs. Their output does change somewhat over time, so a new one won't match one a few years old. I don't know how pronounced the effect is. Not to mention the technology is changing so fast any one model probably won't be available that long.

Maybe it's not a big problem, but it might be better to save up and buy them a system at a time.

You might want to be a little cautious about slowly adding LEDs. Their output does change somewhat over time, so a new one won't match one a few years old. I don't know how pronounced the effect is. Not to mention the technology is changing so fast any one model probably won't be available that long.

Maybe it's not a big problem, but it might be better to save up and buy them a system at a time.

I always recommend buying whole systems at once. You can even get slight variations between lots. For live music, no big deal. For theater it could drive a designer nuts.

At $1k each you have a good budget. To be honest I would look Blizzard Lighting. Great RGBAW PARs available in a variety of beam angles.

Have you thought about zoom units? I know of some good LED PARs with zoom features.

We are going to do a theater install in March with the PL1 from Selecon as top and back wash. I am trying to talk them into the PL3 but it may be a little rich for their blood.

Why 15 degree? Do you want a 1-to-1 swap with your 6"Fresnels?

Based on distance from electrics to stage and the areas I most commonly set up for, something around a 15 degree is most usable. I know I'm not going to get a 1-to-1 swap (though it would be nice)...I just want something close to what I currently do with color mixing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks,
I'm also after replacing parcans with LEDs if i can. One problem i have, though, is that because we are a tiny venue (ie 3m ceiling) the LDs are very interested in the look of the light source itself, and wont stand for anything that looks like a whole bunch of LEDs stuck together.
I've been looking at the Selecon PL1, but was wondering if there was anything else i should check out?

Hi Folks,
I'm also after replacing parcans with LEDs if i can. One problem i have, though, is that because we are a tiny venue (ie 3m ceiling) the LDs are very interested in the look of the light source itself, and wont stand for anything that looks like a whole bunch of LEDs stuck together.
I've been looking at the Selecon PL1, but was wondering if there was anything else i should check out?

A piece of tough diffusion gaffed over the front of whatever you buy? Or an eggcrate? Something to hide the lens from the audience might be the cheapest option...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back