Patent for Operating a Lighting Console

Well...Does this mean you shouldn't use a GrandMA unless you want to pay a fee? ;)

Last edited:
actually it means MA lighting has the sole controlling patent on multi-touch lighting consoles... I wonder how this will fan out with companies like Chamsys and ETC...

actually it means MA lighting has the sole controlling patent on multi-touch lighting consoles... I wonder how this will fan out with companies like Chamsys and ETC...

There is so much prior art on this that there is no way it will stand up. Patents are useless until they win a court case.

Since he is putting forth an artistic method of action, a patent would not cover this. Possibly a copyright?

I guess they'll register anything as long as you pay the fees!

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. However, my understanding is that you can not get a patent on something that any logical person would think up. We have had touch screen consoles for at least 10-15? years. Its pretty easy to relate down the road that when mutli-touch screens got cheap enough, those too would appear in lighting consoles.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. However, my understanding is that you can not get a patent on something that any logical person would think up. We have had touch screen consoles for at least 10-15? years. Its pretty easy to relate down the road that when mutli-touch screens got cheap enough, those too would appear in lighting consoles.

But then comes the issue of how we view multi-touch, It doesn't necessarily fall under the touch screen op. Since Apple has been using the way that their devices sense multi-touch as a platform to sue other companies such as HTC and other companies utilizing the same system.

This could go two ways, One way MA uses it as a way to boost money for the company by charging for licenses to manufacture and sell products utilizing multi-touch technology.

Or, they could limit the market for quite some time on multi-touch and being the sole manufacturer of multi-touch consoles.

...We have had touch screen consoles for at least 10-15? years. ...
1974, if one includes the "light pen" stylus of the Skirpan AutoCue. Which by the way, did result in a patent dispute and possibly contributed to the demise of the first memory console used on Broadway.

... Page 24 of the above referenced book [The Speed of Light], in Mr. Terry's words: "There was a big panic on Chorus Line because Steve Skirpan, inventor of Autocue, had sued EDI and gotten an injunction against people using the LS-8. It was based on a patent for a memory lighting control with a video display. It was a very weak patent but meanwhile everyone was really scared. Tours were going out." Terry then continues with the development of the Strand Century Multi-Q. ...

Not a lawyer BUT even though the application date was 2008, multi-touch systems for replacement of analog controls have been actualized for even a few years before that. As such, the use of a multi-touch surface for control should not alone, as Footer pointed out, be prevented in other systems. However, the method by which inputs are utilized, is what this really seems to be a patent on. It seems, to me, quite floaty and derivative of the way in which other systems, like those of Apple, function. The fact that because it deals specifically with how one utilizes a lighting console is where things get tricky. Is it logical that we would arrive at the same conclusion purely on the basis of it replacing analog controls? Because of how we currently use multi-touch would our expectations be the same as those detailed in the patent? I think it merely will slow down other manufacturers from integrating multi-touch. I'm not too worried, though. Personally, I'd actually much rather have a trackpad, which I can use purely by feel. Being able to leave my right hand (pretending to program an ION here) on the primary keys I use to select fixtures actuate functions, while having my left hand actuate fixture attributes such as shutters, beam size, zoom, gobo, gobo mark or position through a multi-touch touch pad, would allow me to view the effect of the my handiwork without having to look down and up to make sure I am not actuating something I do not desire to and to more quickly switch between functions without having to look down and find the location of the function on the screen.

Not a lawyer BUT even though the application date was 2008, multi-touch systems for replacement of analog controls have been actualized for even a few years before that. As such, the use of a multi-touch surface for control should not alone, as Footer pointed out, be prevented in other systems. However, the method by which inputs are utilized, is what this really seems to be a patent on...

Neither am I a lawyer ;-).

Reading a bit into this I get the feeling that the patent concentrate on means of doing multitouch as userinput on one screen to utilize userinput/result on another multitouch screen.
Just my view.

Regards Kåre Olai

Neither am I a lawyer ;-).

Reading a bit into this I get the feeling that the patent concentrate on means of doing multitouch as userinput on one screen to utilize userinput/result on another multitouch screen.
Just my view.

Regards Kåre Olai

Welcome to the site? I see this is post 1 for you, but you joined in 2007. Either way, stop by the New Members Forums and introduce yourself!

This seems to me a lot like Color Kinetics patenting "RGB color-mixing" or perhaps the guy that filed a patent on The wheel. It's cute, it's something to hang on the wall but in the end it means nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back