Pepper's ghost and monitor privacy film

Hello, and thank you in advance for considering my question. I recently purchased a 1950s era TV console similar to the one pictured. The television itself is missing, but it does have a glass screen. I want to create a Pepper's Ghost illusion using this setup, but I don't want the viewer to be able to see the computer monitor that I will place face-up inside the console. I'm thinking that computer monitor privacy film, which limits the viewable angle of the monitor to a few degrees on either side of face-on, should get the results I'm looking for. Any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

download.jpg

I understand what you're saying, but a privacy monitor will probably reduce the usable brightness of the image quite alot. Additionally, if you put the privacy screen on the inside of the glass front, you, as the viewer, won't be able to see the TV image from anything but head on.
What I would do is to just ensure the entire inside of the cabinet is completely black. If this was for theatre, we'd cover everything in black Duvetyne, but if this is an install in your house, you might prefer something like black foam core or something smooth, so you don't see wrinkles.

Alternatively, you might use a small Amazon projector and make the front glass panel hazy, with like frost, and then you can rear project without seeing any hardware inside.

Could you use a monitor / display pressed directly behind the glass instead of bothering with a Pepper's Ghost assembly? So long as the monitor frame is larger than the dimensions of your TV screen, you won't see the monitor, you will have much less light drop-off, and you won't have to worry about a bright-spot from a projector.

Could you use a monitor / display pressed directly behind the glass instead of bothering with a Pepper's Ghost assembly? So long as the monitor frame is larger than the dimensions of your TV screen, you won't see the monitor, you will have much less light drop-off, and you won't have to worry about a bright-spot from a projector.
100% agree with this. Looks like a 32” would fit perfectly in that front space.

I understand what you're saying, but a privacy monitor will probably reduce the usable brightness of the image quite alot. Additionally, if you put the privacy screen on the inside of the glass front, you, as the viewer, won't be able to see the TV image from anything but head on.
What I would do is to just ensure the entire inside of the cabinet is completely black. If this was for theatre, we'd cover everything in black Duvetyne, but if this is an install in your house, you might prefer something like black foam core or something smooth, so you don't see wrinkles.

Alternatively, you might use a small Amazon projector and make the front glass panel hazy, with like frost, and then you can rear project without seeing any hardware inside.
Thank you for your response.

If you happen to try the privacy film, do give us your results. I think that it might be interesting

Reactions: Van
You know, I just had an additional thought. If you get a monitor that is edge lit as opposed to back lit, it may solve your issue without the privacy film. An edge lit display already has a narrower field of view.
In either case, pay attention to the nits listed for brightness along with contrast ratio. Those are going to play a big role in the effectiveness of the effect.

You know, I just had an additional thought. If you get a monitor that is edge lit as opposed to back lit, it may solve your issue without the privacy film. An edge lit display already has a narrower field of view.
In either case, pay attention to the nits listed for brightness along with contrast ratio. Those are going to play a big role in the effectiveness of the effect.
That's a very interesting idea. However I'm using an old 5:4 surplus monitor from work that I got for free, so I'll keep that in mind for the next project.

I just picked up the reflective plastic screen from the supplier, and am planning on cutting it to size this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back