Pick up Bed design and build

Godd002

Hello,
We are in production of Footloose. We would like to build a pick up bed for the actors to be on in a scene. Has anyone build something like this and have suggestions/pictures. I am thinking the audience sees the back end with the tailgate down and then just the outline of the cab from the back. I am assuming it is a stationary piece built on a moving 4x8 cart.

thanx.

I"m just saying, the last time we needed a pick up bed (the base for a cart for Mother Courage) we went to a scrap yard and bought one. There are tons of beat up Ranger beds that you can probably get for cheap if there are scrap yards in your area. Might even be cheaper than the materials needed. just one option.

Keep your eyes open for a pick up bed trailer which someone might loan you or rent very cheaply.
PUtrailer.jpg

We did Footloose last year, if you aren't going to be working it into multiple scenes, you may want to rethink if it is worth the hassle. We debated a truck bed as well, but when we figured out we would only use it in like one scene, it got cut.

Is this for a high school production?

If so, I would try to cheat it and just paint the back of a truck on a sheet of plywood, attach that to a 4x8 wagon and build out just enough for the tailgate to look good in profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back