Conventional Fixtures Platinum PAR Lamps

The rated life span is why they are so much cheaper. A standard 1000w PAR64 lamp will usually have a "Q" in the title. This designates it's a long life lamp (may mean something else too, but that's what I was told by my rep). Any PAR lamp with a "Q" should have a minimum of 4000hr lifespan. Also applies to 500W PAR56's lamps. I would pay more for the longer lifespan any day. Especially if you are running them at 90% for worklights, you can get 6000+ hours out of them.

The rated life span is why they are so much cheaper. ...
The rated life for the standard ANSI PAR64-1K lamps (FFN, FFP, FFR, FFS) is 800 hours. As with all lamps, the 4000 hour versions offer increased life, but with a decrease in output and color temperature. Compare the GE - 43497 Q1000PAR64/NSP to the GE 13229 FFP.

zackt, compare the BCP of the Platinum brand (235,000) with the GE (330,000).
That said, this site PLATINUM 1000W PAR64 NSP 120V (FFP) has the lamp for $9.00! I'd be concerned about the long-term quality, of an almost certain far-east manufacturer.

Last edited:
I'm in need of some 1KW FFP lamps for cheap, and I came across these on amazon...

Amazon.com: PLATINUM 1000W PAR64 NSP 120V (FFP): Musical Instruments

Seems too good to be true, right? Anyone have any experience with these lamps?

Thanks!

Platinum is the brand of lamps Bulb America is distributing not making. Certainly a large difference between list price and advertised retail price with seemingly a 50% markup over cost by Lamp America. Look up the GE or other brand of FFP lamp. You will note that the center beam candlepower output of this lamp is about 1/3 less. That detail might be important.

It might be halogen but an unknown brand for quality and 1/3 less output (should be in the 330,000 CBCP range)... if that's all you need fine but a lot of wasted wattage in exchange for price.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it doesn't really say Halogen anywhere! It has a lower output, and a low price. The "FFP" designation is "(FFP)"... I wonder it this isn't a straight incandescent. Compare that with the listing for the GE lamp:
GE 1000w 120v FFP PAR64 Halogen Bulb
In that case, FFP is in the title, and title is "GE 1000w 120v FFP PAR64 Halogen Bulb."

You know, it doesn't really say Halogen anywhere! It has a lower output, and a low price. The "FFP" designation is "(FFP)"... I wonder it this isn't a straight incandescent. Compare that with the listing for the GE lamp:
GE 1000w 120v FFP PAR64 Halogen Bulb
In that case, FFP is in the title, and title is "GE 1000w 120v FFP PAR64 Halogen Bulb."

FFP refers to the Parabolic lens type, Frosted .... ..... i'm not sure what they all mean but from looking at the lamp it is frosted and as such would be indicated in the name.

Also good to note, and I'm probably beating a dead horse, they are lamps not bulbs. Not saying you didn't know that but someone should pop an email to bulb america.

FFP refers to the Parabolic lens type, Frosted .... ..... i'm not sure what they all mean but from looking at the lamp it is frosted and as such would be indicated in the name.

Also good to note, and I'm probably beating a dead horse, they are lamps not bulbs. Not saying you didn't know that but someone should pop an email to bulb america.

That's why I put it in quotes! The link and the title both use the dreaded "Bulb" word! Parabolic actually refers to the reflector style (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector.) As for FFN, FFP, Etc., Who knows where they came up with those. Someone once told be the N was no finish, and the P was a pebble finish. (What is R? Rough? ;) )

The real thing I would like to know is if they are even Halogen. If not, then degradation of beam from blackening of the reflector will be a big factor as the lamp ages. If it ages !

That's why I put it in quotes! The link and the title both use the dreaded "Bulb" word! Parabolic actually refers to the reflector style (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector.) As for FFN, FFP, Etc., Who knows where they came up with those. Someone once told be the N was no finish, and the P was a pebble finish. (What is R? Rough? ;) )

The real thing I would like to know is if they are even Halogen. If not, then degradation of beam from blackening of the reflector will be a big factor as the lamp ages. If it ages !

Expect they are halogen (fill pressure of it in question in balance not for lamp life but output..) and given we are taking their published lamp output for CBCP, we also have to take their lamp life as similar for accuracy which would be halogen grade. Color temp. also matches up. Halogen I think yes, just not as good for output.

"Bulb" should hear my guys bitching and moaning about inventory this week as a bi-anual thing now. They point out the box of the lamp says "bulb" thus I'm insane.. yet they use the term in understanding the concept when not spiting me use it as per "lamp" but still like to challenge me on it.

Main question in buying such lamps is if the data is accurate - said to be wrong or wrong in question. If wrong in data perhaps fine enough lamp... perhaps - many vendors do bad specs at times initially. If accurate, could be fine say in a theater where you don't need the output persay and need cheap lamps. Lots of wasted wattage in doing so but if the choice, it's a source for lamps. Kind of the reverse of 600 or 800w high output lamps for PAR 64 now long gone given they are at 1Kw but less output, and the lesser wattage ones were more or the same at least output for less wattage. Moot pont, gone now such lamps.

The most cost effective PAR lamp Bubble these I think these days is the Osram AlumiPAR range of lamp. For me, way too many normal bubbles in stock to try something different, but were I starting over, that's what I would go for. Better lamp given one has missed the other discontinued versions that were also better but lacked purchases of in buying. (Part of the above inventory is many 600w VNSP lamps that will sit in inventory for many more years without use.)

Overall concept... a 1K PAR 64 lamp is very powerful. If for a large enough theater, could be fine but I would expect that for most uses it would be over powering.. Many newer theaters have enough power so a sub-standard output lamp could be fine in it in wasting energy but doing it's output at that color temperature. Kind of like a lesser wattage lamp only this at more output and wasted wattage for perhaps sufficient output for the needs.

Don't know but possible that this lamp could work. Less efficient but cheap and perhaps within the maximum output needed for the use. Not an efficient lamp by the specifications but perhaps a not energy efficient fill the gap similar to what a 750w PAR 64 lamp could do were there one, which perhaps would be more useful for this situation.

One can never tell the situation needs. Thought perhaps?

Q is actually the designation used to note the halogen fill. If the Platinum lamps (Platinum brand is from a Chinese company) only put out 235,000 cbcp, then they should not have the ANSI code in the title as the output is specified by ANSI and should be in the range of 330,000 for that beam spread. I would say "Buyer Beware". You get what you pay for....

FWIW-I have purchased lamps (for PAR 56s) from the eBay vendor mentioned in reggie98's post--it is Kennedy Webster Electric in Chicago. They offered fast shipping & good customer service when I used them.

Q = Quartz. Somewhat synonyms with Halogen these days. Originally all the lamps were called Quartz as the Quartz burner glass was required to withstand the heat and pressure of a Halogen system lamp. Hardly hear them being called Quartz these days. Lower wattage ones use standard glass so the term Halogen applies to all, where as Quartz only applies if the burner is. In my own opinion, manufacturers started using the term Halogen because it sounded cooler! ;) The unfortunate consequence of this is I can not tell you how many times I had to explain that Halogen and Halide lamps are totally different things!

The other half of the equation is that Iodine is no longer used as the Halogen gas. Remember "Quartz Iodine" lamps? Bring that term up these days and people think you are talking about a medical procedure!

Ebay store above looks like they have good prices on a lot of lamps. Still, the mystery about the original platinum lamp remains. Whoever breaks down and buys one, please reopen this thread!

I think the proper term is/was Quartz-Iodide, which furthers your Halogen/Halide issue.:)

World English Dictionary
quartz-iodine lamp or quartz lamp

— n
a type of tungsten-halogen lamp containing small amounts of iodine and having a quartz envelope, operating at high temperature and producing an intense light for use in car headlamps, etc

quartz lamp or quartz lamp

— n

;)

Did a quick google, 640,000 for Quartz Iodine, 342,000 for Quartz Iodide. Who knows!

I use Platinum brand PAR 38s in my portable rig cans, they work fine. Much dimmer than the GE versions, but much cheaper. Replacing with GE bulbs when we get moneys for it, but until then, it will be what we use. The lamps hold up ok, plenty of rough use on these guys (getting chucked in and out of a truck/racks 5 times a week) and one failure so far. I think the brand is probably ok, not the best but if your going to be breaking them, you might as well get the cheap ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back