Plot Software

Hi Guys!

Just wondering what (software) you guys use for drawing plots.
Preferably something that is free and fairly easy to use as Id like to be able to give it to my junior LDs so they can show me what they want to do for a show and then I can approve of it and rig it with them.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of that is free is draft sight which is basically the same as autoCAD . Perhaps not as easy as most to just "plug" lights in to an existing drawing. But a flexible CAD solution.
Draw the plot, and make (or find) blocks for your instruments, and you have a 100% free plot solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for free you really can't beat LXFree. Very basic lighting CAD software, it's kind of light a watered down version of Vectorworks Spotlight, it's probably actually a great tool for getting your feet wet in drafting. It's actually a very powerful program considering that it is free. It has existing symbol libraries, can do hook-ups, color counts etc as well. I used it for years while I scraped together the money to by VW.

If you're looking for free you really can't beat LXFree. Very basic lighting CAD software, it's kind of light a watered down version of Vectorworks Spotlight, it's probably actually a great tool for getting your feet wet in drafting. It's actually a very powerful program considering that it is free. It has existing symbol libraries, can do hook-ups, color counts etc as well. I used it for years while I scraped together the money to by VW.

I am a student and this is what I have used for awhile and love it. I also have VW Student edition but couldn't ever figure it out so I stuck with LXFree.

If you intend to become a professional in the theatrical lighting field, knowing Vectorworks is a marketable skill set. Probably the most popular and widely used CAD program for lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learned on pencil & paper and still find it useful! Sometimes I just use arrows and triangles to show different fixtures, especially if just pitching raw ideas.

Anything that lets you draw is usable, even "office" software.

I'm also a fan of the LXFree family of products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back