Plotter recommendations?

dombogetto

My college is interested in getting some new plotters to replace two unreliable and old HP DesignJets. We purchased a new Epson SC-T5400M copier since we didn't have any other large scanner, and are generally happy with it - though it did throw an unfixable error about 6 months in that required Epson support. We're now looking to get two new plotters (without scanners) that can plot from a 36" roll. We mostly plot from AutoCAD and VectorWorks, both directly and from PDF.

Here are our minimum requirements:
  • Print ARCH E (36" roll)
  • Networking
  • At least medium duty (they see regular use)
  • Color
  • Reputable/known brand
  • USB printing would be nice, but not a requirement.
If you/your shop has a plotter that you love (or hate!), post it here! Thanks

At my job that I just left a month ago, we had 3 Epson P10000 plotters. They were mostly used for 36" paper but also 40" fabric. Those machines ran all day every day. Most days we'd go through an entire roll of paper.
Just like the (I believe) Epson 7270 that we replaced with the P100000s, they do age rather quickly.
Within 3 years you're cleaning heads every day and each machine has its own quirks. We had one that would fail to print unless you unplugged and replugged the power, just using the power button or switch didn't cut it.

Overall though, both models were great plotters. Great color depth and accuracy from one day to the next, crisp text, reasonable ink usage. Manageable menu system. We also used Serendipity Megarip as the print server but I couldn't tell you what this product does except spool large print jobs.

Man, I miss my HP5500+ I know its old but that thing was a workhorse. and the 750Ml ink cartridges were great.
Are multiple color plotters really required? I mean are you using it for art production/dressing etc. or are you primarily just plotting working drawings. Something like a KIP mono color is a major workhorse cranks out B&W's pretty quickly and several models have integral scanners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back