Power in an Airport Hangar...Help???

CaptPaul

Hello everyone,

First post here so I hope I can find some help. I'm slated to do a show inside of an airport hangar. Upon my initial walk through I was told I can use the 220 volt plugs that they plug the corporate jets into to power the electrics in the plane. I have never done this before usually I have just used either standard 120 volt household type ac plugs or a gas generator.

I'll be supplying the PA system and stage lighting (standard array of equipment). So my question is....How would I go about taking the 220 plugs and getting my gear powered up. Would a power distro be of help? or should I just avoid this and bring a generator and go that route.

If i am missing any info please let me know. I really want to do this gig properly and not look like a bafoon :) or blow the airport up :)

Thanks
CaptPaul

Find a local Rental house and Rent a Distro box. Tell them what you are doing. where you are doing it and what you are powering. Chances are they will have an adapter for the box OR you may need to have them come wire up a tap. either way if you tell them you need 120 for your gear they can get it out of that plug. Do NOT try to come up with a fix for this yourself. sounds like you know sound which is good. Messing with high amperage 220 shore power for an airplane is not for a beginner.

Thank you Van. Yes I am totally leaving it to the pros when it comes to electric. I sorta needed the push in the right direction. Which I think you have done. So thank you again. I would never try to jerry-rig something like that. I know how to run the lights and sound just never done it in a big setting like this or arena etc. where power like this would be an issue.

I will see what I can find from the local rental stage places.

CaptPaul

On question I think you need to ask, "Does that 220 come with a neutral?"
If it is just hot, hot, and ground, then a generator might be your best answer.
Best to ask them what NEMA receptacle it is. I would expect it is HHNG, but who knows! Don't want to find out on the day of the show.

Before buying/renting anything, I'd get over there and do a site survey. I'm guessing it's one of those blue twist lock plugs that is rated for like 100 amps, but I don't know the name of it. The problem is, they MAY not be wired correctly to run sound, so head over there with someone who can use the proper instrument to measure the output, assuming you don't know. You should know the power location, but you should also know where this connection is in relation to your stage, etc., so that you can figure out how much feeder or whatever you'll need to go from one place to the other.

I'd also look around for the electrical panel and see if there are more traditional cam-lock connectors or another, more convenient connection.

BTW, I've worked in a few airplane hangers (notably at Travis AFB in California) and the sound is TERRIBLE. If you can, try and include some sound baffles or you'll have an echo that will be ringing until the next day.

Last edited:
I have to say a big thank you for everyone's replies. I had a feeling I would get great answers to my question.

That said I am in the process of getting the specs of the "plug" along with the volts amps freq etc. I will post it here when i get it for further discussion along with calling a local rental house.

As far as the echo in the hangar...there will be some for sure however during the walk through it wasn't that bad since its insulated. Most are not. The particular owner of the hangar has about 250 million worth of aircraft in their....so he keeps them pretty safe.

Oh and the plugs on the wall in question...are pretty much right next to the where the stage will be. I would say within 5 - 10 feet.

I will be in touch thanks again everyone.

CaptPaul

OK here is a picture of the plug that is on the hangar wall. hope this helps further the discussion.

Plug.jpg

CaptPaul

Unless it's Delta. Then, the hot-to-hot may be between 220 and 240 volts. Of course, wouldn't be the first time someone referred to 208 as 220 ;)

It can be used but will require using a transformer to give you a neutral tap. Typically hangers have an electrician see if you can get a hold of him and help you out. There is usually regular outlets around somewhere for mechanics to plug in power tools.

I do a few gigs a year in a hangar. We usually take power off the wall (Edisons) and often have to take outlets from neighboring hangars. I have been meaning to test the junction at the cutoff switch to the door but haven't yet. Look around the hangar to see if there's any similar switch by the overhead door. Since it's a motor, and probably 220 or 208, it may not have a neutral, but only testing will give you an answer.

If there's a kitchen there may be a range plug you can tap into. Or, there're got to be a panel somewhere. You can usually pop in a breaker if there's room (or you can make room). Again, hire in a profession for this kind of thing. If you have to ask these questions then you SHOULD NOT be the one making these connections. But it seems you know that already.

Last edited:
As an aviation mechanic, I would strongly advise you to see what frequency is being supplied. (Most) U.S. military and civilian aircraft operate off of 115/200VAC @ 400Hz. It is also possible that you have located an outlet designed for support equipment which may be any given voltage at (usually) 60Hz.

This...All the talk of grounds and neutrals does no good if its 400HZ. Unless your entire rig is incandescent lights with a rotary pot for a dimmer. Or toasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back