Automated Fixtures Powering down intelligent light

What Elation lights. When you say intellegent, do you mean a moving light, an LED or both? I imagine yes but the type of light is important.

If the fixture is capable of being shut down from the console then yes all you need to do is make a macro or cue that will shut them down. Whenever possible I still kill power to movers. There is no reason to be running the powersupplies when you do not need to be. With LEDs I don't worry about shutting down I just black them out then kill power.

What do the respective manuals say?

As for the argument of turning them off or not, that seems to have been an argument for nearly as long as there have been moving lights. One school (as Tim Miller says) is to save the power supply by shutting down. Some others argue that because the lamp life is shortened (supposedly by 6 - 10 hours) every time the lamp is struck, it is better to leave them on. Both arguments are dependent on how long they would be left turned on and not in use. If you're leaving them on for a half-hour dinner break or something, then leave them on, but for overnight, turn them off.

I suppose if you can turn them off from the board, you should be able to turn them on. But if you can't do both, it's moot. You might as well just kill the circuits on the distro, or unplug them from the wall, or whatever.

If I'm reading your gear list correctly, all of your fixtures are LED source. As long as you don't have them putting out light, it doesn't really make a difference as to whether they are still powered on.

The previous posts are all valid arguments for arc source fixtures.

If I'm reading your gear list correctly, all of your fixtures are LED source. As long as you don't have them putting out light, it doesn't really make a difference as to whether they are still powered on.

The previous posts are all valid arguments for arc source fixtures.

Ok. Thanks everybody for your help

The only thing that would make a difference to me is if they have a fan that runs while the fixture is switched on. If it's going to be more than several hours until the next use, I'd shut them off to save the fans (they do wear out) and minimize the amount of dust sucked in to the fixture.

At shows when we go on dinner break I leave the fixtures on and open but if it's for more than 2-3 hours I lamp off but do not shut the fixtures down.

I'm using ELAR 180 PAR, PLATINUM WASH LED ZOOM, E SPOT LED and DESIGN LED 60 TRI STRIP. I was wandering if it's possible to switch them of from the board.
Sorry for the lack of precision.

Couple things here. If you want to be able to completely power down the fixtures from your console then the fixtures have to be plugged into power that is controlled by the console. However, you SHOULD NOT plug your moving fixtures into dimable power. If your racks support relay modules then your could plug the fixtures into those and have control of the fixture power from the console. If your dimmer racs don't support relay modules then the only way you can power the fixtures on and off is by physically switching them at the fixture or un/plugging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back