Preference for Males for Load-in/Load-out

File the complaint with the board of reagents. What happened there is almost certainly against college laws, and appears to be against federal regulation as well. Plus, its kind of silly. I work with more women than men pretty regularly, and for the most part, they dont have issues doing the work (until it came time to move 300+lb landscape timbers, but everyone had trouble with that). Its a school, they really ought not do that, and someone could have a bit of a sit down with them. Possibly, instead of the BoR have your friend complain to their boss (they ought have a person between them and the regents, right?) If nothing happens, work the call, if you dont want the ticket, give it to your friend?

Two or three years ago, (female) CB member abbyt wrote an article for Protocol magazine stating (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here because I cannot find the article) that becoming an ETCP-Certified technician has helped her to overcome the, alleged, perception that stagehands should be male.

The Abby in question would be me. There's definitely male preference in the industry. (But- that is certainly not isolated to the entertainment industry, in my opinion.)

I guess, in my experience, I feel like men are frequently assumed capable of doing the job until proven otherwise...and women, on the other hand, are frequently assumed incapable or *almost* capable until proven otherwise. I've found that as the years have gone on and I've moved up in my career, I don't get that attitude as often as I used to. I'm not sure if my "give a darn" is busted, or if it's a sign of different times. I have found it easier as time goes by that the more letters behind my name and certificates on the wall, the smoother things tend to go in these regards.

As Derek alluded to above, the ETCP Certification has certainly helped me come into some situations on more equal footing.

I do think the original poster should have a conversation about this and point out the "perceived" gender bias. If education solves the problem, there's no need to escalate it further, in my opinion. Often, ignorance is curable with the right information and the right tone in which that info is presented.

-Abby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back