Price for clear com headsets.

cmckeeman

So i am at an interesting position, i am a college student active in the theater program, i am usually the one who sets up the clear-com. I am also the TD at a high school with clear-com headsets that they don't use. i want to sell the headsets to my college to raise a little money for the theater program but i don't know what a good price would be, i'm not looking at getting the most for them like i would selling to some random theater but i also don't want to short change the high school. what do you guys think a middle price for a headset like the one in the picture would be i'm thinking $5 to $10
headet.jpg

I still see those in use at theaters, and for $5-$10, you'd be substantially short-changing the school. If that's all you intend to get for them, you'd not be making nearly enough to make it worth the trouble of trying to sell them in the first place, nor would you gaining enough money to buy an alternative for the school should the sale of these headsets mean they need to buy new ones in the near future.

If anything, I'd suggest an extended loan type arrangement. One theater I work at has a few movers they don't use often on extended loan to someone do the movers' motors don't cease up from inactivity. In this case, they're loaned out to someone with the understanding that they may need to given back temporarily or permanently should they be needed.

As for the whole surplus thing, some entities require used equipment be sold via a surplus service. Others don't really care and if a good deal among friends can one negotiated, a good deal is preferable. I have relationships with several TD's in the area where we've lent/sold/given to each other for cheap or for free based on the understanding that courtesy would go both ways in future deals and times of need. If anyone's business office asked, a good enough argument could be made that the deal was fair for the relationships built, and that the relationships of knowing if your sound or lighting console tanks that you can drive down e road to another theater and borrow one in a pinch is well worth it.

In your case, if your business office asked, you'd be in a terrible position. The sale of equipment for a rate you've determined from your job at one institution to yourself at another institution without someone else on the seller's side involved in the sales process would look awful if someone started asking questions. It could potentially be a fireable offense. Before proceeding, I'd doubly verify that you have the authority to make the sale and that even if you do turn out to have that authority, that a colleague who shares that authority with you vets your terms of sale first so if questions arise, you have something to fall back on.

I maintain though that if the school stands to make only $50 or so total off of your sale of multiple headsets, forget it. It's not anywhere worth the inconvenience to them should they decide they need them for a show down the road. $50 doesn't buy a lot of gels or gobos, or even a single microphone or replacement headset. It's not in the better interest if the school to make the sale unless they are in such a position where those headsets cannot at all be use with any existing systems and are just growing cobwebs in a cabinet somewhere.

Just to be clear the high school does not use the headsets and has invested a fair amount of money into an alternate system, they are just taking up space in a box, when i first brought it up to my boss who is in charge of the theater program at the high school she was saying just give them to my college. so any money now is more than the school was standing to make. and duck what do you mean?

I think what Duck means is that anything belonging to the school could technically be state property, and the only way to get rid of it legally would be through a surplus auction. With that said, it's not uncommon for small things to quietly change hands from one institution to another, whether it be gifting or a long-term loan that never got returned.

It would make me less nervous if I was in the situation to just donate them. If there's money involved, it could turn around and bite you as MNicolai said. He brought up some very good points about how it may look to administrators if they found out (benefiting from your own position, robbing Peter to pay Paul, etc). We know that's not the case but when someone uninvolved sees it, it could turn in to a very black-and-white issue; and the director who is on your side now may not always be around to vouch for you. 9 times out of 10 all would be well, but we want you to know all implications involved so you can plan accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back