Prices for my Used Equipment

Froggy

Hey,

My high school's theater is looking to upgrade our very old system. We would like to sell a pair of border/strip lights. I believe they are Hub Electric products. They are very old, from about 1960, but they are in excellent condition. They are 32 feet long. I was wondering how much money they might be able to fetch. For color, they use glass RGB roundels. I was also wondering how much these would be worth. Please give me some estimates, especially if you live/work in the Chicago area, and know the prices that the local dealers offer. We would like to avoid shipping them long distances, if possible.

In my opinion, the strips are worth the price of scrap metal, the roundels on the other hand could probably fetch $ 10.00 each.

In my opinion, the strips are worth the price of scrap metal, the roundels on the other hand could probably fetch $ 10.00 each.

Yeah, I was thinking that the metal is so old that we'd be better off just selling it to a scrap dealer. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much we could get for the roundels. Thanks a lot!

... the roundels on the other hand could probably fetch $ 10.00 each.
I tend to doubt this. Most sizes are still available new from Stage Lighting - Kopp Glass - Theatrical Stage Lighting. For used, I would guess that 50% of new price would be fair. However, there's not much demand, as most, just like Froggy, would rather replace the entire fixture rather than buy new rondels.

EDIT: I retract my doubts about BillESC's price. A national dealer lists
"5-5/8” Glass Roundel, smooth or 50° ................................ $20.25."
in a 2009 catalog. Seems he was right on the money.:)

Froggy, once you have attained 15 posts, feel free to list the borderlights for sale in our newly-launched Classified Ads. Be specific as to the lamp they take and how many circuits. Pictures are good too.

The best way to find out the "going rate" is by doing a completed auctions search on eBay. This is the most "real world" picture you're going to get.

Froggy, once you have attained 15 posts, feel free to list the borderlights for sale in our newly-launched Classified Ads. Be specific as to the lamp they take and how many circuits. Pictures are good too.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had any luck selling anything in the few weeks the classifieds have been open? I know I haven't.

32' strip lghts are not of much value to anyone these days Sorry but an experiation of their usefulness. On the other hand if you can find the splicing points on the strip and fabricate more end caps for a more useful shorter length you might get more money from them.

On the other hand once you do so you will no doubt find asbestos within them etc in further things to contend with in just selling them off and not making a profit. About take a blow tourch to remove the solder from the lampholders often. 40+ year old wiring no doubt won't be any good no matter the case.

I would agree with the above and add that if the roundels are inside holders, those gel/gobo holders might be even more valuable yet.

I might also contact Hub directly at (815)455-4400. Who knows perhaps they might have a use for the parts or fixtures.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had any luck selling anything in the few weeks the classifieds have been open? I know I haven't.

While I personally like having a classifieds section, I don't think this is the right crowd to be making purchases. It seems that the majority of the posters are employees or volunteers of theatres (be it high school, college, community, etc) and are typically not in the market for purchasing used equipment from individuals on Internet forums. Furthermore, I don't get the feeling that the typical poster on Control Booth has any purchasing power anyway. So, I will keep my eye out for some cool things to pop up and may even list some gear myself, but I will certainly not count on it selling any time soon.

I would agree that most people don't have much purchasing power. But I think part of the issue right now with the classified is that a culture around them hasn't really developed yet. While I can't see things over the 500 dollar range moving terribly quickly I am surprised that we haven't seen any small items like light fixtures. Hmm maybe its time to list a few of the the old Kliegl Bros pat 3235s...

Another problem is that there just aren't that many listings there. When I peruse through classifieds sections I'm usually searching for something in particular. It makes it hard to find that one thing when there are only ~10 listings. Hopefully it will catch on...

So, what I'm sensing is that the metal itself is only worth the market price for scrap metal; but the colored glass roundels might be able to fetch a nice $15 or so per unit. I'm not going to the Controlbooth classifieds yet because I don't have sole jurisdiction over our course of action with regards to upgrades to our system. (I'm only a high school sophomore) However, I have convinced the higher-ups who have the cash that losing the striplights is the right thing. Thoughts, anyone?

Why do they have to go? Personally, I'm a fan of striplights as long as they don't interfere or take the place of other lighting instruments. For example, I wouldn't mind having a striplight immediately before electric 1 (also known as x-rays), but I would not like striplights in favor of electric 1. I'd want to have my cake and eat it too. It would be nice to have a set in front of or behind the mid stage traveler also.

How long did you say these were? Too bad they can't ship. Otherwise I'd say remove the lenses and send the rest to me. I'd pay up to $200 to ship them if the actual unit was no more than $50 (more than what you'd get for scrap metal). That's the thing with strips. They're a huge pain to do anything with unless you just leave them hanging.

Another question: Are these A-lamp strips or R-40 strips?
(A-lamp strips have an aluminum reflector for each lamp which the roundel clasps into, whereas R-40 strips use R or PAR lamps and sandwich the roundels in a special frame). The type will have some determining factor in what you can get if you were to scrap it out. If you remove the reflectors, you can get a little extra money for them. Leaving them in will get you less because the aluminum would be considered "dirty".

Why do they have to go? Personally, I'm a fan of striplights as long as they don't interfere or take the place of other lighting instruments. For example, I wouldn't mind having a striplight immediately before electric 1 (also known as x-rays), but I would not like striplights in favor of electric 1. I'd want to have my cake and eat it too. It would be nice to have a set in front of or behind the mid stage traveler also.

How long did you say these were? Too bad they can't ship. Otherwise I'd say remove the lenses and send the rest to me. I'd pay up to $200 to ship them if the actual unit was no more than $50 (more than what you'd get for scrap metal). That's the thing with strips. They're a huge pain to do anything with unless you just leave them hanging.

Another question: Are these A-lamp strips or R-40 strips?
(A-lamp strips have an aluminum reflector for each lamp which the roundel clasps into, whereas R-40 strips use R or PAR lamps and sandwich the roundels in a special frame). The type will have some determining factor in what you can get if you were to scrap it out. If you remove the reflectors, you can get a little extra money for them. Leaving them in will get you less because the aluminum would be considered "dirty".

Totally agree with Less on this concept of why get rid of them and his other salvabe concepts. Sorry but as a student, you have no ability to do stuff to the gear such as cutting it down for shipping in more useful lengths for resale or even in doing so. Can recommend and even recommend that they stay at the theater in just leaving them be. Agreed that they can be useful and there probably is no need of replacing them. This as long as safe. Remember some similar fixtures at a 1926 hemp house that just left them to hang with the origional non-locked donut weighted fly system. In upgrade to the grid, the ones not to be touched needed to go. A pull on the rope caused each rope to break but luckily too much age and friction in the system to move far in crashing. This other than the old rope winding up around me each time I pulled on each of the three bars of light strip. Safe removal of the gear was possible with other means.

Still though a 32' long section of boarder / strip light isn't portable or easily transportable. This much less would require a service call at best if not total re-wiring. Useful if not moved and inspected for safety, leave it there and you esecially for the blues can help especilly with a night scene, or for a cyc wash... why not just keep it if safe?

For resale... it's 32' long and wouldn't fit int even most rented trucks even if sold. Thing's too long and would have to be cut up. At that point more worth labor and parts in scrap metal in making it into individual fixtures, but Len and other's further ideas of what to save are good and perhaps not bad to do in saving elements of it even if the rest scrap metal.

There are some fixtures best suited to live at the theater if useful and never leave. Short of that, the scrap yard is their end result unless you can find somewhere else to hang them in saving them with lots of effort. Remembe back.. about 25 years ago, my high school theater had lots of catacombs and rooms set aside for flat an scenery storage. We were eventually locked out of the asbestos lined catacome lined crawlways beneath the rest of the school. With permission in not getting much scrap metal return for the fixture, just move it off stage and somehow into storage for a future generation to want or get rid of, leave or want. If not useful for your current needs.. perhaps for a future generation.

That or as I was given a 1962 Dyna Beam and some stip lights 20 or thirty years later in freeing up some space, perhap some lucky later student in wanting it, might have a use for such things. The Dyna Beam is even now lobby sculpture, the strip lights I used for a few years than sold off to another theater later. This granted they were only 6' versions and that length of fixture is the key. Short of a semi-truck trailer, there is no way to economically transport a 32' long strip light. Saving it and hanging in storage might be the best option for later if you can, or given what it is, scrapping it would be the option in not feeling too bad for it. Save what you can and afterwords, it served it's usefulness if it is no longer useful or able to leave hanging

I agree with the points about if they are still safe, why not use them? Obviously new MR-16 or Cyc lights would be nicer, but it seems to me that if there is gear that works, use it. Same reason I convinced the higher-ups to keep our old Ultra-Dark IIs around, and funny thing, less than a week after it was decided NOT to put them into off site storage, whats getting used for a show? They scrapped 60 360s (all of them worked fine, I tested them and even used them for a show) as well, deciding that they were "worthless" (could not convince anyone otherwise), and a few months later, we need an extra 30 units or so for a show (all Eye Candy too, so 360s would have been fine), and need to borrow/rent from a bunch of other people. If it works and is safe, keep it around. The primary color washes out of those things you have are probably fine, and you can most likely get 6-10 colors out of them reliably. In my opinion, the scrapyard should only be the destination for stuff that no one can safely/actually use any longer.

Just curious, why getting rid of them? Need the space, or are they total junk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back