Design Problem Shadow from Camera Jib

bluemando

My Video director is complaining about the shaddow created by House and Stage lighting and the camera Jib getting into the Jib's shot. I am not sure how to solve this without making a bright spot if we double cover the 25ft radius area that the jib swings out over.
Of course, the jib is situated just in the apron (front of the stage), off stage right and (again) it's arc path is getting hit by both house and stage lights.
I can't imagine what the solution would be for this - but that's why I am asking you guys (smile). Thanks for any ideas!

Is adding diffusion to the problem FOH lights a possibility? Is mounting a shadow killer on the jib a possibility?

Would adding more light from a direction that won't cause a shadow to the front light be possible. (Or would it even work?)

... I can't imagine what the solution would be for this - but that's why I am asking you guys (smile). Thanks for any ideas!
The only solution for this is to teach the jib operator where he can and cannot go. And to yell at him a lot over headset, as any TV Lighting Director will tell you.

As mentioned above, when industrial cranes block the overhead lighting they mount lights on the bottom of the boom. Maybe a few color-matched instruments would work...

Jib shadows are a fact of life, there really is no way to defeat them. Any director worth his/her salt should be able to position cameras to minimize the problem so the shadow will never be in the shot.
It's also not really the LDs place to tell cameras what to do. Discuss with the director a game plan to have the jib out of the way when the shot calls for it and they should coordinate with the cam ops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back