Automated Fixtures Problems with Robe Colorspot 700's

ludosc

Ok, so I work for a church and we own 12 Robe Colorspot 700's. These lights are about 4 years old. In the past couple of months we have started to have problems with them. The interesting thing is, there are only 2 issues happening, but they are happening with multiple lights

Issue 1: Animation Wheel gets stuck halfway open (two fixtures)

I opened it up and moved the wheel with the fixture open checking to see if i could see something that was broken, and everything looked ok. It will open if i add or remove the wheel a few times.

Issue 2: Lights will not turn off (three fixtures)

This issue only happens occasionally but still it's enough to be annoying and cause problems during a show. Randomly when I tell the fixtures to turn off or they are programmed to turn off, they will not turn off all the way (only to about 50%). In order to actually turn them off, I either have to turn them back on full and back off again (may take multiple attempts) or change the color to black. Again I opened up the fixture to see what is going on when this occurs, one of the Lamelle "black out" parts is not moving. But it only happens I'd say 1 out of ever 10 times you try to turn the intensity to zero. It also doesnt matter if you have a time set on going to zero.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to fix these ourselves, or if we'd have to ship them off somewhere. I am running these off of a Jands Vista T2, although I'm pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with this issue (wouldn't be the first time that ive been wrong though)

I have never worked on this particular fixture however, a few simple steps I always try first on other lights:

Do this with the power to the light completely disconnected, that way the is very little chance of shorting something out if there is a bad wire or if something accidentally gets plugged incorrectly. Plus it's just the right way to do it.

Make sure all of the wiring harnesses are connected tightly into the offending motors (i.e. the motors for the blackout blades and animation wheel) and that there are no visible freyed or damaged wires within them. You can gently try disconnecting them from the motor and re-seating them. THESE WIRES ARE VERY DELICATE be careful when moving them.

Also try cleaning the sensors on the animation wheel, most likely there is a very small magnet mounted on the wheel itself it can accumulate dust and other matter that may cause issues. Make sure the magnet is still on the wheel sometimes they just plain old fall off into the unit over time, if they are glued to the wheel. If this has happened it does need to be replaced to exactly the spot it came from, or the wheel will not operate properly.

As far as the blackout module make sure the set screws that hold the blades on the motor shaft haven't come loose, causing the shaft to spin inside the blackout blade, this may cause sporadic movement.

Then again it could be something much more complicated.

Just my suggestions. And as always if you or the person dealing with upkeep of the fixture are not comfortable doing this, send it out for repair to an authorized repair shop, sometimes it's just better that way.

Hope some of this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back