Projection Screen Suspension

rwhealey

We're in the process of purchasing a new projector screen (Da-Lite Model C, most likely) and want to safely suspend it from our pipe grid. However, we'd like to use some kind of truss clamp so the screen can be moved anywhere in the room.

Most screens in classrooms here are hung using something like this with an s-hook attaching the screen to the bracket. I called Da-Lite and the sales guy recommended using "cable or something from the grid to an s-hook/eyebolt on the screen."

Is an s-hook like that acceptable in this situation - say using a clamp like this ? Anyone have a better plan?

The only place S-hooks should be used, and I don't like them even then, is on a traveler track's carriers.

I like the clamp you've proposed or similar,
image.jpg
with a shackle or Quick Link connecting to the screen frame.

Last edited:
I agree with Derek. an 'S-hook' is an acceptable piece of hardware in a clas room as most of those screens tend to be much smaller/lighter than the screens used in a theater. As well, the screens in a classroom or meeting room tned to be static , and live a mostly static environment. I grid is a busy place with too much risk of being bumped or otherwise abused resulting in catastrophic failure of an 'S-hook'.

The screen you mention is a relitively small screen in terms of weight. Almost any rigging method will handle the load. The issue is the venue and the anticipated use factors.

Moved frequently, crew smart but low on experience. The main thing you want is a connector/clamp/hardware that is as tool free as possible, and when installed, is a closed unit. check out the Light Source Products
and see if something there will work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back