Promenade...

So...they've asked me to light design for promenade...i know its a bit early, but I wanna get some ideas together. What do you guys think I should do? I can't put any colors on the people...I was thinking all white in the center, and put some color off to the sides, they usually have stuff hanging..last year I had to through something together the night of because I was in it...Have any of you ever designed for promenade? Gimme some ideas! :grin:

Thanks!

I'm going to take a guess here and say promenade in this case means prom or graduation ceremony.

It's an opening of prom, all of the attendees are introduced, get their picture taken. And Walk off.

Color on people for photos seems like a bad idea if its for photos. White light on the front for the cameras, colors in the back and sides, maybe? Tasteful colors that will let all the dresses look good under them, so that kind of limits it, unless u have scrollers/LEDs and want to change the colors for each dress...

Tasteful colors that will let all the dresses look good under them

Oh man is that ever a big can to open. You will never find a quality or color of light that every high school girl will agree with.

I would light the picture area with white both front and rear but wash walls or set pieces with color. Around here they do something similar and call it grand march. Every school does their own theme so lighting gets interesting.

Oh man is that ever a big can to open. You will never find a quality or color of light that every high school girl will agree with.

Yes but some options are just bad, like R385 is going to make all the men's tuxedos look red, making it a bad choice, and you can at least choose some colors that will render the color of a dress well, as opposed to changing it. Realistically, having several colors or all N/C is probably the safest, maybe pop in some AP2000 to make it nice and white?

Yes but some options are just bad, like R385 is going to make all the men's tuxedos look red, making it a bad choice, and you can at least choose some colors that will render the color of a dress well, as opposed to changing it. Realistically, having several colors or all N/C is probably the safest, maybe pop in some AP2000 to make it nice and white?

Blue gel is going to make the suites look red?

Really, IMO your best bet is white wash the walking path from a steepish angle and then toss breakup gobos on the walls and such. Another really slick thing you could do would be having LED uplights on the walls/sets.

Blue gel is going to make the suites look red?

Yep, it can. Depends on the Gel and the suit. R74 tends to not do this, wheras R80 to R385 tend to make them glow (personal experience here, thats pretty much the main consideration that Im dealing with on my current show).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back