Putting LEDs into costumes

The new color-changing ears at Disney use IR for their communications, both between hats and in general from transmitters on light posts to control the crowd. As for multiple transmitters, I guess between the beam width of the transmitter and the directionality of the receiver, you can get away with it without having to sync them very closely.

/mike

The new color-changing ears at Disney use IR for their communications, both between hats and in general from transmitters on light posts to control the crowd. As for multiple transmitters, I guess between the beam width of the transmitter and the directionality of the receiver, you can get away with it without having to sync them very closely.

/mike

Has anyone reverse engineered how they can seem to control the hats independently based on where they are in the crowd? I guess this could be as simple as different IR transmitters for different places, but when I watched the video it seemed more complex/accurate than that.

It could be done with GPS, point-source + encoded IR transmitters in the hats that are seen up by a camera and CV system, or just well planned IR zones and on-board tweening.

Oh! Hey Look, an update.

So recently I have been working on a fashion show piece for a local fashion show called Make Fashion. This is a show about wearable technologies and we are working on a cocktail dress and headdress. It has 304 LEDs in the Skirt, 176 LEDs in the Bodice and 160 LEDs in the Hat. These are WS2801 LED Strips that are controlled via arduino. (Theoretically, you can pixel map these strips (Theoretically, if I was a way better programmer, and we could pack a laptop inside a dress)). We were featured on the news today as well for some promo material. We are the third piece, but just to show you what we have done, and what is possible... (and not to brag or anything)

So we had our fashion show yesterday. The dress worked well and didn't break until after the event (a data connection at the bottom edge of the dress broke at a solder joint). There was a tremendous reaction and everyone seemed to dig the event as well as the pieces presented.

Photos of all of the pieces can be found HERE. Some included EL Wire, LED Strips, light up jewlery, fanny packs, gogo dancers, etc...
Video of our piece can be found HERE
Link to the event can be found HERE

More updates in Wearable technology land.
New project: Calgary Comic Expo - Make something cool
Solution: Spartan Helmet with Laser etched acrylic plume and underlit with LEDS

Fosshape base molded to my head with another U-shaped channel for LEDs and acrlyic to sit in. Take Cardboard template to my head to get the curve right, as well as allow proper clearance for LEDs underneath. Scan cardboard template into Corel Draw and convert to a vector image. Choose and draw patterns in a vector format. I used three layers of acrylic to get a more complex image. One layer of "circuit board", one layer of "Make Cool Stuff" text, last layer of the negative space of the "circuit board" pattern. Before peeling the protective paper off of the acrylic after lasering, I shot the Text layer with White Spray Paint to make it more readable and interesting when powered off. Installed the LEDs by soldering them into a curved shape in parallel and wired down to a battery pack on my waist. Covered in pretty fabric and voila.

Challenges:
While a very small project, I learned quite a bit about using laser etched and cut materials. The problem with people is that they are 3D, while the acrylic starts out life as 2D. As with electronics, this need to take materials that are meant to be flat and conform them to an irregularly shaped body (that flexes and moves and wrecks havoc on wiring) can prove to be interesting. While I didn't bend acrylic this time, it will be interesting to see how it can be utilized in the future to create 3D shapes. Another challenge is mating hard materials with soft fabrics and differing techniques available to each method. The shop I was working with suggested T-nut construction, bolts, and screws, while the costumer suggested zip ties, glue and thread. Rather than any hard and fast rule, it is more of a case by case basis for attachment.

Conclusion: A good introduction to using laser etched material for costuming. Next year might just need to be a suit of armor to match.

Attachments

• 8695790561_bb1aa18066_o.jpg
    8695790561_bb1aa18066_o.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 287

Users who are viewing this thread

Back