Question about 2 channel clear com belt packs

Hi guys
We just given an old ms 200C clear com base stations and some 2 channel 3 pin belt packs
Now we already have a ms 200 base station and a few single channel belt packs already so I am familiar with clear com already but I usually deal with 1 channell stuff
I also understand about the A &.B outputs going to single channel packs Although I am a bit confused about these 2 channel packs
I did notice that when I try and use the pack even as single channel I have to latch on B talk button to use the call button & the call light will not trigger with A talk button what so ever
These packs are the old RS 502 2 channel with 2 separate talk buttons and volume controls for both A & B with 2 3 pin XLR 1 male and 1 female and 1 4 pin for the headset

I was just wondering if I need to run 2 XLRs or exalctly how to go about wiring it
Any help is greatly apreciated thx
Soundguy99

I was curious about this because the only RS 502 belt packs I've seen have XLR6 connectors. Indeed they did make a TW model with XLR3 connectors. A separate adapter box was required to put two channels on one XLR3. I don't know if this box is still available. It also says it only calls on one channel.
http://www.clearcom.com/upload/download/Clear-Com_RS-500_Series_Datasheet.pdf

-MH

They still make a current product to do that, might be worth a call to clearcom to see if it will work with the older packs. http://www.clearcom.com/product/partyline/interfaces/twc-701

Thanks for the info guys,
This still leaves me a bit confused. As it sits right now the base station has Channel A with 3 XLR outputs, and Channel B with 3 XLR outputs. If I wire Pack A to ouput A and Pack B to output B, and then daisy chain pack to pack from for both A and B respectfully.
So you can have stage Crew on Channel A and Lighting and Spotlights on Channel B or whatever, and everything works great with respect to the talk and call light. IE Pack A call button triggers all of Channel A's Call lights including Base station Channel A. The same goes for Pack B.
With this double pack with 2 talk buttons and volume knobs for each channel (set for Channel A & set for Channel B) even with 1 Call button, I would think that if I want to talk to people on Channel A (eg. Stage Crew), I should be able to push Channel A's Talk button, and the same goes for if I want to Talk to people on Channel B (eg spotlights). If I need to use the call button It would make sense to select the channel by turning on the mic of that channel and hitting the call button. Ie latch Mic on and hit the call button to Call Channel A's Group & latch channel B's mic on and hit the call button to call whoes ever on channel B)
With these accessories they talk about combining 2 channels down to 1 3 pin xlr. Would that not defeat the purpose of having to talk button and 2 volume knobs on the same pack.
With a 6pin xlr system I have a easier time understanding the 2 channels being on the same XLR but the 3pin I am not quite sure about.
Also if I was to run 1 xlr off of Channel A's base station into the pack and 1 from the Channel B's output from the base station, into the same pack would I be suppling that pack with double the voltage, ie like connecting 2 base stations into the same system.
Sorry for the questions guys, just trying to wrap my head around how this suppose to be wired,
Again Any thought are greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
soundguy

Thanks for the info guys,
This still leaves me a bit confused. As it sits right now the base station has Channel A with 3 XLR outputs, and Channel B with 3 XLR outputs. If I wire Pack A to ouput A and Pack B to output B, and then daisy chain pack to pack from for both A and B respectfully.
So you can have stage Crew on Channel A and Lighting and Spotlights on Channel B or whatever, and everything works great with respect to the talk and call light. IE Pack A call button triggers all of Channel A's Call lights including Base station Channel A. The same goes for Pack B.
With this double pack with 2 talk buttons and volume knobs for each channel (set for Channel A & set for Channel B) even with 1 Call button, I would think that if I want to talk to people on Channel A (eg. Stage Crew), I should be able to push Channel A's Talk button, and the same goes for if I want to Talk to people on Channel B (eg spotlights). If I need to use the call button It would make sense to select the channel by turning on the mic of that channel and hitting the call button. Ie latch Mic on and hit the call button to Call Channel A's Group & latch channel B's mic on and hit the call button to call whoes ever on channel B)
With these accessories they talk about combining 2 channels down to 1 3 pin xlr. Would that not defeat the purpose of having to talk button and 2 volume knobs on the same pack.
With a 6pin xlr system I have a easier time understanding the 2 channels being on the same XLR but the 3pin I am not quite sure about.
Also if I was to run 1 xlr off of Channel A's base station into the pack and 1 from the Channel B's output from the base station, into the same pack would I be suppling that pack with double the voltage, ie like connecting 2 base stations into the same system.
Sorry for the questions guys, just trying to wrap my head around how this suppose to be wired,
Again Any thought are greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
soundguy

In a TW intercom system (1, 3-wire XLR jack for 2-channel system), the 2 channels are setup slightly differently so that each belt back can isolate each channel individually. From a user perspective, the 3-wire and 6-wire beltpacks handle the exact same. You can still adjust volume on each channel separately, and have separate talk buttons. The Clear-Com (TWC-701) allows plugging 2, single channel intercom jacks in and getting 1, 3-wire XLR with 2-channels out. This box essentially setups up for the phase offset between channels

Single channel intercom w/ 3-wires is: Common, DC power, and Audio
Two channel intercom w/ 3-wire is: Common, Audio A + DC, and Audio B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back