Conventional Fixtures R40 Color Frame alternatives?

BRosen

Hey y'all

i was curious to know if anyone has come across a good alternative to the Altman R40 color frame, besides the combo that takes roundels and gel. My theatre company shares the space we are in, and at strike i have to waste a lot of my crew's time pulling R40 color, separating the frames, pulling the gel, getting the other group's roundels back into the frames, etc. i would really love to have our own striplight frames that are more along the lines of a traditional leko pancake frame, that was i could have the color loaded up pre-load in, and we would simply just have to pull the Roundels, leaving them in their frames, and drop our color.

surely someone has had this idea, and makes a quick and easy frame for the R40?

I second his question. R40's have some kind of awful design for the gel frames. I think even the Zip-Strips and Mini-Strips share in this terrible 2-piece frame assembly.

City Theatrical offers Mainframes in R40 size, Cat#2362, MSRP USD 2.65.
proxy.php

Depending on quantity needed, a local metal shop may be able to fabricate a standard frame less expensively.

I've never seen Mini-Strip/Zip-Strip frames in a two-part style. Personally, I like Altman's R40 "combo" frame, but can certainly see the OP's needs for an alternative.

Last edited:
City Theatrical offers Mainframes in R40 size, Cat#2362, MSRP USD 2.65.
proxy.php

Depending on quantity needed, a local metal shop may be able to fabricate a standard frame less expensively.

I've never seen Mini-Strip/Zip-Strip frames in a two-part style. Personally, I like Altman's R40 "combo" frame, but can certainly see the OP's needs for an alternative.

You're right -- I was mistaken when talking about Mini/Zip Strips. I've just naturally associated the frame styles together because I have an equal amount of distaste in both the two-part style, and even the one-part style. I would love a regular style frame that's one flat piece of metal, two holes punched in it, and folded in half.

Another problem I have with R40's is that their gel sizes are obscurely off-square. They're almost square, but not quite. It bothers me when stocking gel cuts.

I would love a regular style frame that's one flat piece of metal, two holes punched in it, and folded in half.

Another problem I have with R40's is that their gel sizes are obscurely off-square. They're almost square, but not quite. It bothers me when stocking gel cuts.

that is exactly what i would love, i feel like i should start a buisness and manufacture these... maybe there a hidden freaking fortune in it.

the odd size also drives me bonkers. iv taken to labeling them [color "S"] for strip.

Ever used Altman SkyCycs? Two-piece frame that takes 8 brads to hold together, and measures 15-1/2" x 15-7/8". Now THAT'S annoying! :(

YES IT IS!!! And they only fit together one way. Once you get them put together, getting them to align in the four tabs on the fixture is another annoyance. Booooo...

If only the numbers made the argument plausible that purchasing LED borderlights was worth the time saved in labor and perishables over incandescents.

If only the numbers made the argument plausible that purchasing LED borderlights was worth the time saved in labor and perishables over incandescents.
personally i know that over the course of a couple shows, purchasing R40 frames like the ones im looking for would pay for itself, because it takes 2 of my crew at least 30 -45 min per load in and per strike to swap it all out. that cost effective to me right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back