REAL GUNS

Hello CB!

Advise and feedback on a real gun used on stage, but with no blanks or bullets in it. The gunshot is a sound effect. Is this a safe idea even though there are no bullets or blanks in the gun? The gun is a rifle and several times it gets pointed directly in an actor's face.

Best practices? Legal issues?

Thank you in advance, CB

Maggie

Definitely not recommended, but possible. You will need an extreme amount of control, but the question I would have to ask would be is if it is necessary to use a real weapon. Do you really want the risk for a prop? Obviously, it would be in your best interest to use a non-firing prop weapon built for that purpose.

It is a simple answer. Always let safety rule. The price of a rental is far cheaper than some ones life. Imagine that as a joke someone puts a blank in it. The shrapnel piece flies out and kills someone. How would you feel that decision to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
No real guns on stage, whether altered or not. This is just tempting fate, I'm afraid.
There are so many non-firing replicas of historic weapons now available that it would be hard to not find what you're looking for.

Heartland America: Blank Firing Replica Rifle

Heartland America: Blank Firing Replica 45

The original post stated that sound would not come from the weapon, but rather from another source. This is certainly safer than using blanks on stage...

If you don't need to fire blanks I would lean towards buying an airsoft replica (you can get just about any replica you want) and disabling/destroying it's firing mechanism.

There are plenty of good non firing replicas out there. No reason to buy an airsoft gun. A decent replicas saves you from having to disable the airsoft gun too.

Via tapatalk

There are plenty of good non firing replicas out there. No reason to buy an airsoft gun. A decent replicas saves you from having to disable the airsoft gun too.

Via tapatalk

a plastic airsoft gun is 1/4 or less of the price of a replica.

How much do airsoft rifles range? I'll admit I don't know much but it seems to me that depending on the type of rifle they arent that much more expensive. Though I guess looking at some, there are super cheap ones out there.

What type of rifle are you using OP?

If it doesn't have to fire then for anywhere between $100 and $200 you can have a good metal prop that will likely last longer (after a summer of using plastic stuff I'm sure we spent more buying and fixing plastic weapons than a metal one would have cost from the beginning.)

http://www.bytheswordinc.com/c-1060-americana-and-western-rifle-non-firing-replicas.aspx

Via tapatalk

Last edited:
.......Advise and feedback on a real gun used on stage, but with no blanks or bullets in it. The gunshot is a sound effect. Is this a safe idea even though there are no bullets or blanks in the gun? The gun is a rifle and several times it gets pointed directly in an actor's face. Best practices? Legal issues?.........

Just to let you know where my advice comes from. USMC vet, expert marksman. Trained in weapons management. Hunter and firearms user all my life. Weapons Wrangler on 15 feature length films ( 1969-75) and several live stage productions including the National Heritage production of Young Washington in 1982 which had 180 black powder rounds and 6 cannon shots per night. I build and restore historic firearms and replicas.

If you compile what has already been said you have the gist.
1. Don't use a real weapon.
2. If you must use a real weapon, refer to item 1.
3. If the weapon does not have to discharge, refer to item 1, use a replica.

If you insist on using a real weapon, or if the weapon absolutely must discharge on stage:
1. Consult your insurance company and lawyer and determine your liability and coverage under all circumstances.
2. Always have a Competent Person assigned as a weapons wrangler.
3. If the weapon does not have to discharge, have the gun wrangler remove the firing pin and place wooden or plastic plugs in the chamber or cylinders to prevent the loading of a round of any kind.
4. If the weapon must discharge:
a. If possible obtain a replica, firing, weapon designed as a blank weapon or a simulated firing weapon.
b. NEVER point a blank firing weapon at a person, under any circumstance. There are always ways to block the scene to appear as if the weapon is pointed at the subject without it being the actual case.
c. Have safety sessions with the entire cast and crew present and demonstrate what can happen if a blank weapon or a simulated firing weapon is discharged directly at an object.
d. Make the rules known and understood by all. The weapon is only handled by the weapons wrangler and the actors actually handling the weapon on stage. The weapon is always to be checked, loaded and cleared by the weapons wrangler. The weapon is to be checked by the actor firing and being fired at as close to their entrance as reasonable.
4. When the weapon is not onstage it is ALWAYS in the possession of the gun wrangler or locked in a gun locker, NEVER placed on a prop table or left unattended. If the weapon must be on stage at the top of an act, when the weapon is placed on stage, place it at the last possible moment. The weapon should be placed by the gun wrangler, not the property hand if they are not the same person. If Union jurisdiction is an issue, the gun wrangler will hand the weapon to the property hand and observe it being placed. If the weapon is left on stage at the end of an act, it is picked up immediately by the gun wrangler or designated property hand and not left on stage during the intermission. If the stage is in full view of the audience during an intermission, and no stage hands are on stage at anytime and the weapon must remain on stage, the gun wrangler must be assigned to watch the weapon during the entire intermission with no other assigned duties.
5. A weapon that must fire must only be loaded just prior to the last entrance of the weapon before it is fired.

Hope this helps a bit, if you have additional questions, please ask.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back