Reason to always use a safety cable

Maybe it was a way to deter theft of the fixture

If it was, it wouldn't be an effective method of deterring theft. Remove the two bolts attaching the fixture to the yoke, and you've gotten around the padlock.:rolleyes:

Regardless of the reason for using padlock's and chain, the money spent on the locks could have been better spent elsewhere.

I have used chain on a few rare occasions..... (because someone forgot to bring the box of safety cable, and i have a lot of short pieces of chain in my rigging box) On movers i sometimes use 2 safety cables, more to even out the drop if they were to fall, rather than going swinging and wacking out other fixtures. Plus not all safety cables are rated the same, and who knows what has gotten mixed in over the years.

Prior to the 1980s, ALL that was used was chain. Even today, many new film/TV fixtures still use varieties of chain and S-hooks for accessories.
proxy.php

#40 Grip/ Sash Chain. Sold by the foot

Here's one sold for use with permanently installed fixtures: General Electric SFC-O353 Hid Fixture Safety Chain.

There is no substitute for a standard lighting safety cable, made of rated and labeled domestic components and by an approved and trusted manufacturer.
30" Galvanized Safety Cable w/ 5/16" Springhook

If it was, it wouldn't be an effective method of deterring theft. Remove the two bolts attaching the fixture to the yoke, and you've gotten around the padlock.:rolleyes:

Regardless of the reason for using padlock's and chain, the money spent on the locks could have been better spent elsewhere.

Yeah just kinda came to mind because one time I was helping a local high school with training classes and the teacher told me some kids broke into the theatre through a construction entrance (the school was undergoing renovations on the band hall) and they stole two safety cables. (Wow that was a run-on). My thought process is anyone dumb enough to steal a light fixture is probably too dumb to know how to free it from it's yoke. Oh, I did say deter, not prevent ;-) Then again, it was probably just a safety cable substitute.

I just want to say safety cables are necessarry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back