Removing S4 Shutters

Taniith

I've seen several posts mention having removed shutters from Source 4s, but nothing about the best way to do it. We have a S4 with a Seachanger that is used exclusively with an i-cue/iris setup, and the shutters really just get in the way.

When removing them, do you leave the divider plates/springs in the fixture, or do you take those out too? I would assume the dividers play a role in the overall beam shaping?

Were it me, I might be inclined to leave the dividers and springs in the light so I don't lose them later (particularly the springs). I feel like it's far easier to lose a small spring as opposed to a box of shutters. It's been a while since I've disassembled the shutter assembly, but I feel like there should be enough tension in the springs to hold it all in place without the shutters.

Optically speaking, it shouldn't matter (in theory) whether you leave the dividers in or take them out. The easiest way to know for sure is to try it both ways and see if there is a visible difference or enough of a difference to sway you one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back