Replace LED in ADJ LED Pinspot ?

JSFox

I have a 2 yr old ADJ LED Pinspot that's stopped working with about 80 hrs on it (about 49,920 less than the estimated 50,000 hrs it's supposed to get). There doesn't appear to be a fuse anywhere. Likely a failed LED? Other? Has anyone fixed these or tried to replace the LED?

I would assume it's an LED driver issue. A failed capacitor might be suspect. This has always been my fear with LED fixtures, especially cheap ones. While the LED element itself might have some huge life expectancy, I am not always so optimistic about the circuitry driving them - much like CFL's and their sometimes catastrophic ballast failures. Sure, the fluorescent tube will last a while, but the entire system is only as reliable as the cheapest component (usually low-grade capacitors and such). That's where corners are cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the LED is rated at 50 or 100 thousand hours, not the rest of the light. The LED itself is usually the last thing you have to worry about failing.

Who did you buy it from? Can you take it back to them and ask them to look at it? Is it still under warranty?

There's a lot more help available from vendors and OEM's than a lot of people think. Best chance, it's a known issue and you're entitled to a replacement. Worst case, they'll tell you it's busted and cost's more to fix than replace leaving you pretty free to take it apart without fear of destroying good piece of equipment.

If it's out of warranty, call ADJ/Elation, or sign up at their forum. I find they MAY fix/replace regardless of the warranty. No guarantee, tho.

I had one go down. There are very few 'electronics' in the actual unit. Its basically a sealed 'power supply' and an LED. I bought mine second hand, so technically no warranty. Called them up, asking to order the part, and they just told me to ship them back the broken one, and they shipped me a new one.

Thanks all. I've been trying to sign on to the ADJ forums for a couple of days but can't seem to get my login approved. They must know something about me that I don't :) Hopefully by tomorrow.

The place I purchased from will give me a replacement in a heartbeat but I'd rather not have them do that if I can find a better way to get it working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back