Control/Dimming Replaced circuit gone haywire

BHotckiss

I replaced a panel-mount circuit in our FOH position, and now it's ghosting. I've checked the wires, thinking I accidentally switched something, but that didn't change anything.

I should mention that the building is 90 years old and the dimmer system is a Strand CD-80 retrofit, so nothing is new or up-to-date.

But I can't get control of it through the light board and it's just on all the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I agree since the circuit was changed, and not the dimmer, I'd suggest that the problem likely lies with the dimmer (or control). Really this should not happen with repairs to the circuiting that leave the dimmer rack and control systems alone.

I second moving the CD-80 module in the rack and seeing what happens. The module may of been damaged in some way.

By "on all the time" do you mean it's just ghosting at around 1-5% (apparent) ?
This could be "leakage" from the dimmer.

Do you still have control of the channel at all? (can you turn it to 100%?) If so that is not just ghosting.

It's not really ghosting, it's on at full. I replaced the circuit module because one of our renters had sparks when they plugged something in, and now it's just ON. I'm thinking it has to be the dimmer but I don't see any damage to it at all.

Sounds like a failed SCR in the dimmer, probably caused by an immense power draw relating to the short circuit/arc fault you mentioned.

Simply put - it's not an uncommon problem, but the pack/module does need to be serviced.

Last edited:
It's not really ghosting, it's on at full. I replaced the circuit module because one of our renters had sparks when they plugged something in, and now it's just ON. I'm thinking it has to be the dimmer but I don't see any damage to it at all.

Okay that is a HUGE difference. from your OP it sounded like it was ghosting (you did use the term).
I'd say that you have to repair or replace that dimmer module. Could be a few things likely a bad SCR.

Either it was already failed or failed when that spectacular plugging in happened. The arc damaged the circuit receptacle I am sure, shouldn't plug "large" loads in "live".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back