Retrofit arbor stop?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
My friend's theater was retrofitted with beam smoke detectors running between the top loading galleries. Unfortunately they are within inches of where a lineset passes. So the slightest sway or anything wider than the batten can set off the fire alarm.

I am wondering if there is some sort of retrofit bottom bumper that could be installed below the arbor in order to prevent the batten from traveling into the trigger area.

personally I would put it upon the smoke detector company to make their stuff work in the space.. Not much different than them installing beam smoke detectors in the auditorium space and then saying.. what? you let people come in here? They'll set off the equipment. They designed and installed a system that isn't working in the space it was supposed to be designed for. But that's just crabby ol me talking

My community college's space had a wooden knuckle buster on all the electrics to keep them from flying out too far. (The cast one on the wiki page looks much nicer!) I think I've seen some track systems with adjustable end stops, which would be pretty strait forward adjust if that is the case. Though all that said, I agree with @jtweigandt, unless placement was per the AHJ, then they would probably have to make do.

(I wonder what other neat solutions will come when someone more rigging oriented comes by :drool:)

I'd ask how far from the crash bar the arbor needs to stop. If it's a few inches I'd consider changing the wood on the crash bar to something taller. If it's more than a few inches, move the crash bar all together. But I first think they should complain and have the alarm system installed properly.

Yeah, alarm installers get first chance to fix this for sure. After that, the crash bar options are probably the cheapest/least labor intensive paths to go down.

If it's new work the FS or Electrical contractor should move them. The Consultant should have caught it. How long ago was the work done? DM me the venue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back