Right channel gone!

alright...this isn't very much of a theatre sound system problem..its more of my stereo at home..i have a 40 year old fisher complete system, with the two towers 100watt 8ohms..etc etc. so today, i find some old speakers i used on my old system. so i check them the impedance is 8ohms max power 50 watts, but my amp is 100watt per channel, so the speakers are old p.o.s. so whatever i turn my reciever off, hook it up to the channel B on the right side, turn it on. it works, i turn it up a little, cuts out a little i check the cable, gone..no singal, so i thought eh, whatever i blew the speaker. So i turn it off, unhook it, and turn on some music, so i later on i turned on my dvd player, turn on a movie, notice..i only have sound coming out of my left speaker :neutral: so, i check the cables, then i replace the L/R going from the dvd to the reciever. Nothing, i change out the speaker wire, nothing. So I'm thinking I blew out the complete right side of the amp. I don't know if thats right...but any thing you guys can think of? I really don't wanna say its junk, because its in mint condition, speakers, amp, i still have the fm/am tuner, tape player, and record player. All fisher, everything stock. I have the money to go out and buy a new one. As I said, I don't wanna call it "junk" if i did blow out the right side, is there anything I can do to repair it?

Thanks Guys!

I know I sound like a total noob but I really wanna get this thing fixed...

Some of those older recievers used external jumpers for tape monitoring or pre-amp in/out. Check those connections or the tape monitor switch if there is one. Most of the time the signal hits these last before the tone section and amp. Check to see if there is signal on the right record output, if there is then the power amp or links to the amp are in question.

so today, i find some old speakers i used on my old system. so i check them the impedance is 8ohms max power 50 watts, but my amp is 100watt per channel, so the speakers are old p.o.s. so whatever i turn my reciever off, hook it up to the channel B on the right side, turn it on. it works, i turn it up a little, cuts out a little i check the cable, gone..no singal, so i thought eh, whatever i blew the speaker. So i turn it off, unhook it, and turn on some music, so i later on i turned on my dvd player, turn on a movie, notice..i only have sound coming out of my left speaker
When you say you "hook it up to the channel B on the right side" are you saying that you had the newer speakers on an "A" connection on the right channel and then connected the old speaker on a "B" connection for the same channel? If so, then there is a good chance those are simply parallel connections and you were connecting two nominal 8 Ohm speakers (which could actually be a lower impedance than 8 Ohms, especially at some frequencies) in parallel, which the amp may not have liked.

Reveivers of that vintage sometimes used fuses for amplifier protection. Look on the back and see if there are fuse holders. Be sure to unplug the AC cord before inspecting the fuses.

[-]yeah. I'm going to dig into when I get home I'm at school now. I think it may be a fuse.[/-]

Alright, opened it up one of the fuses were blown. My dads going to pick one up tomorrow 250V Fuse and you can't get one at autozone, he's gonna pick one up at his old shop. Hopefully this fixes the problem :D

Last edited:
You probably shorted out the output or the 4 ohm load by paralleling the second set of speakers caused the fuse to blow. Hopefully it protected everything instead of the fuse blowing based on the short/load causing a component to fail

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back