RightArm Pan/Tilt limits on GIO

CBR372

Hey guys! I have two questions. I have 8 Right Arms 3s that I recently got up in the air and I am finding a need to limit their pan tilt range from our GIO. Is this possible?

Also I have the right Arm 3's which no longer have "modes" I have them set to 16-bit mode but on my GIO the only profiles are for Modes 1-9. Is there a mode in there that will give me full Pan, Tilt, Fine Pan, Fine Tilt, and MSpeed? or does anyone have a profile for the right arm 3's?

Thanks guys!

The limits could be set by copying an existing fixture profile and altering the ranges. However that isn't going to help at all if the Right Arm goes through it's full range of motion on power up and reset. I've never seen the Right Arm in action so I don't know what it does during a reset. I'm sure Kelite does though.

According to the Eos Family Fixture Release Notes for 2.0 beta (I don't have 1.9 installed at the moment) Modes 6 through 9 are 16-bit resolution on pan and tilt with MSpeed. The user notes say to set the Right Arm mode on the fixture to 6 for 6, 7 for 7, etc. I would assume that matches up with the info in the Right Arm manual.

You could use any of the profiles and ignore the mSpeed parameter, or copy one and delete the MSpeed parameter.

Last edited:
I've never had a good time with Right Arms and EOS Family consoles. What the OP is saying is that he has a Right Arm 3, which does not have modes and therefore does not line up with anything in the ETC library. However, the Right Arm 3 does still have the ability to limit Pan/Tilt. It is even more versatile because you can actually set the ranges to any degree between 10 and 300 for pan and 10 and 270 for tilt.

What I would do is set range you would like to use (following the directions in the user manual) and then use the personality in the console that corresponds. If you choose a range that isn't one of the given ranges from the old Right Arm (user manual), just pick one and copy/edit it until it's ranges fit your needs. You are going to only want to bother with modes 6-9 as they are the ones with 16-bit control.

-Tim

EDIT: The Original right Arm manual I linked only has modes 0-8. Mode 9 must have come in the Right Arm 2?? Which Apollo doesn't have a manual for on their website. So who knows if modes 0-8 are what is in that manual. I would just look at the library files themselves to find out what each mode is for...

Last edited:
I've always had a great experience with ETC's customer service. Try giving them a call and they will help you by either creating a profile or helping you create a profile for them and setting up the ranges for each unit.

Agreed. This is the kind of thing that I would go straight to ETC for help with.

However that isn't going to help at all if the Right Arm goes through it's full range of motion on power up and reset. I've never seen the Right Arm in action so I don't know what it does during a reset. I'm sure Kelite does though.

I don't think this is quite correct ( at least it is not what my right arm does on a power up. ) When I power up my right arm it seem to slowly search for the 0/0 location ( IE the location if both pan and tilt are at a DMX value of 0) and then it move to whatever the DMX values being sent to it are. It does not go through a full sweep of pan or tilt - just from the current location to "0/0"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back