Rosco I-Cue in Source Four Jrs

Well, there is no reason why it wouldn't work. The S4 Jr. has the same size color frame as the standard S4, so the ICue will fit. After that it should work the same as on any fixture.

I've never used either product much/ever, but I have to think there's no reason the I-Cue wouldn't work just as well in a SourceFour Jr. as it does in the SourceFour full size. It's not going to be a Revolution or VL1000, or even an AutoYoke or RightArm, but it should move the light beam around. You may also want to investigate the Meteor ElipScan. Whatever you do, avoid the Meteor Puppeteer.:(

Before considering "toys," does the school in question have enough conventional lighting equipment? See The Gafftaper Method.

Yeah, they use only conventional lighting equipment, this would be their first moving light.

It's basically all S4Jrs in a cove out front, then a variety of parnels/fresnels/border lights on stage. The only reason we're looking at this type of thing is for educational purposes. It's too expensive to do any major conversion to moving lights, but having one would provide a good opportunity for learning.

I purchased I-Cues at my school for the same purpose. Careful, soon you'll end up purchasing more and more 'toys' for educational purposes. The I-Cue works in a Jr, but the beam isn't very bright. Unless you have a small throw, it might be worth purchasing full size S-4s to improve the quality of the light.

This is a bit of a crazy suggestion but. .
If it's something you want for educational stuff and you don't want to invest in full on Mac's or Robe's then how about these?
Acme 250W Dynamo Scanner Disco Light - Soundsavers - Discount PA Systems, Disco Lighting, Band Lighting, LED Lighting, DJ Gear, Speakers, Amplifiers and PA System Advice

They can be controlled via DMX and depending on your through would be just as good as movers if you jsut want to use it for 'specials'
anyway just a thought
~adude~

Thanks for your help everyone, I think all my questions have been answered!

Chris

This is a bit of a crazy suggestion but. .
If it's something you want for educational stuff and you don't want to invest in full on Mac's or Robe's then how about these?
Acme 250W Dynamo Scanner Disco Light - Soundsavers - Discount PA Systems, Disco Lighting, Band Lighting, LED Lighting, DJ Gear, Speakers, Amplifiers and PA System Advice

They can be controlled via DMX and depending on your through would be just as good as movers if you jsut want to use it for 'specials'
anyway just a thought
~adude~

There are plenty of reasons not to invest in a fixture like this. One of the reasons that we advocate for what CB now call the "Gafftaper Method" (which I think there is a wiki entry on) is because buying component parts is generally more cost effective for places like schools than buying sub par intelligent gear.

I would never recommend an ultra low end fixture to anyone but a DJ. First off, the lower end gear is more likely to break. Routine maintenance and major service will be easier to do on a mainstream fixture. Most fixtures aimed at DJs just don't perform the way you want in a theatre situation. There is also the fact that you will get almost no light out of the fixture you liked to as it uses a 24v 250w incandescent lamp, so using it for specials is right out.

For the money, a theatre end user will be happier with an I-Cue than a sub-par moving light. If taken care of (which is much easier to do) an I-Cue requires very little maintenance. They are easy to set up and learn the basics of programming for intelligent fixtures and setting up data runs.

Also, as one may recall, the Acme®-branded products never performed up to the expectations of one Mr. Y. Lee Coyote, did they?

:lol: I was waiting for someone to make that reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back