Rosco Share The Work - And Get The Swag

zmb

Here's your chance to submit your lighting design to Rosco, persumably if you used Rosco products and possibly have it on their website and receive a swatch and SED curve mug just for submitting a design. I've already sent in my design for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe with a remote possiblility that it is posted.

Share The Work

Sample Mug:
proxy.php

Now I just need some decent pictures of my designs... They were all Rosco though, so I at least meet the criteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clarification please. Are they looking for the actual design, or pictures from the design? Is there a desired format?

Clarification please. Are they looking for the actual design, or pictures from the design? Is there a desired format?

It is 1-5 photos with some mention of colors and Credits for the design team. As well as a reason behind using certain colors. Think of it as an interview where you are being asked to show a photo of a moment in time during a show you especially liked and explain the colors you used and why.

Its pretty simple and you get free swag (they may use it to advertise their stuff)

This is how I would imagine the interview to go:
Interviewer: so anvil why did you pick this color.
Me: uuuhh mmm I thought it would look cool
Interviewer: well did it?
Me: well um its r05 so I guess it looked cool but you probably don't notice it

Does any one else feel like they want only really bold stuff or is that just my impression based on dip's example picture?

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Does any one else feel like they want only really bold stuff or is that just my impression based on dip's example picture?

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Yeah... I got that impression too. No one wants to see the scene that is made by R302, because it probably doesnt have a huge look in some fog, and some massive cyc picture. Should I submit this one?

Zenfolio | Leighanne Evelyn Photography | Backborn

or this one:

Calvin Theatre Company's Photos - Hamlet | Facebook

Or maybe this one:

http://www.leighanneevelyn.com/p507608147/e37d8ddb2

(hint: its Rosco #00)

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Is this really how you would defend your color choices? If it is I'd be worried about getting any large theatrical LD work. "I though it would look cool" doesn't fly for the people I've done designs for...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What do the people you work for interrogate you every time you design something? I don't really do to much design were I need to use supper saturated colors because that doesn't fit 99% of the shows I light. Additionally when someone hires me the first step for me as a designer is figuring out what their vision is for the show. This is the point where I the designer make sure we are on the same page, because if we aren't then things can get a uncomfortable down the line. Additionally the people who hire me trust me to make the right choices and that is a trust that I wouldn't abuse because it gets me rehired.
I think your kind of overreacting its just an imaginary scenario.

Sent from my HTC Liberty

Is this really how you would defend your color choices? If it is I'd be worried about getting any large theatrical LD work. "I though it would look cool" doesn't fly for the people I've done designs for...

I use that all the time in design meetings. "I think this would look cool" does not really always mean that you have not thought it out. Also, If I went in and said "I chose Rosco #5 (which is more information than any director I have worked with wants to know) because it gives this slightly rosy tint that I think is the right color for Jessica or whoever", someone is going to be laughed at. The most color choice questions I get are "Does it have to be blue?" or something like that. Heck, most directors dont care about what color it is, as long as it looks good.

Sorry did not mean to come off that way. I'm not saying it doesnt happen but I know quite a few difficult directors...

Sorry did not mean to come off that way. I'm not saying it doesnt happen but I know quite a few difficult directors...

Oh we all do, but lets be honest, How many directors even know what gel colors you have? Or what gel is?

Not specific numbers but when they ask why did you choose that red for this scene. You do have to explain it better. It also helps in academia when actf or another group asks you to send in your design with a 3-5 page essay explaining your choices.

Not specific numbers but when they ask why did you choose that red for this scene. You do have to explain it better. It also helps in academia when actf or another group asks you to send in your design with a 3-5 page essay explaining your choices.

Yes. I hate it when a director is all like "why did you use red in this scene" with that little undertone, and they are really saying "I dont like the red, and need a reason to disagree with your choice".

I LOVE Skelton Exotic Sangria. I use it in almost every show.

I have reasoning for every cue, color choice, angle choice, instrument choice, etc.

Of course I would never say "this is Jessica's color" or something like that, but I also wouldn't say "it looks cool". More something like "this scene feels mysterious to me, so I chose R80 (deep blue, and I will have a picture of what deep blue looks like so we are on the same page) from a very high angle at a low intensity with the smallest amount of dim, orange front light that I can get away with" or "this is the typical daytime scene in the house with the sunlight streaming in through the windows, everything is very brightly lit, and warm, as opposed to the scenes during rainy days when everything is dull and cool."

Mike

While bold is indeed beautiful - we'd love to see pictures featuring ANY Roscolux or Supergel color (yes even 00 @Shiben :rolleyes:). If you're worried that the photo doesn't do the color justice, you can explain what's happening further in the 'Photo Description' area or (if you're extremely prepared) submit one shot without the color and another with to show how the color enhanced the scene.

IMHO - 'I thought it would look cool' is a fantastic reason for choosing a color. It's your expertise that tells you what will work (translate: look cool) in a scene and that's why they hired you.

While bold is indeed beautiful - we'd love to see pictures featuring ANY Roscolux or Supergel color (yes even 00 @Shiben :rolleyes:). If you're worried that the photo doesn't do the color justice, you can explain what's happening further in the 'Photo Description' area or (if you're extremely prepared) submit one shot without the color and another with to show how the color enhanced the scene.

IMHO - 'I thought it would look cool' is a fantastic reason for choosing a color. It's your expertise that tells you what will work (translate: look cool) in a scene and that's why they hired you.

So question about the program: If I used color from Lee, Apollo and Rosco, Is that ok as well? Should I just mark the Rosco colors or all the ones used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back