RP Screens and Heat

LavaASU

Does anyone know in how hot an environment RP screens can safely be stored? I have some old ones (high end corporate AV in their past life) that now get used for charity events for the most part. Any ideas if it would be harmful to put that box in the garage (in AZ)?

For Phoenix summers, a lot of it has to do with the construction of the screen. However, my general rule of thumb is to cover the screen with a cotton "diaper" prior to folding, thus preventing the screen from touching itself as well as easing the creasing due to the added material. In general, for RP screens, I always use a cotton drop cloth on the back side that is folded with it, keeping the screen clean. Dirty RP is extremely evident and cleaning the screen can sometimes damage it. An ounce of prevention and all that.

For Phoenix summers, a lot of it has to do with the construction of the screen. However, my general rule of thumb is to cover the screen with a cotton "diaper" prior to folding, thus preventing the screen from touching itself as well as easing the creasing due to the added material. In general, for RP screens, I always use a cotton drop cloth on the back side that is folded with it, keeping the screen clean. Dirty RP is extremely evident and cleaning the screen can sometimes damage it. An ounce of prevention and all that.
+1, a layer of plain white cloth or plain white tissue paper usually helps keep flexible screen material from sticking to itself. But I guess perhaps the first issue should be verifying what type of screen material, for example storing a rigid glass screen might be a bit different than a rigid acrylic screen and much different than a flexible vinyl screen.

These are the flexible surfaces-- like what you'd put on a da-lite fast fold screen. I don't know the actual material.

Hello!

I own a pair of CPE Fast-Folds purchased new in 1974 and they're still going strong; a 12' x 12' with front and rear surfaces and a 9' x 12' rear only. When they arrived at my door here Canada, via a freight carrier direct from the U.S. manufacturer, the surfaces were shipped with small sheets of thin white tissue paper between all layers. Immediately upon receipt I had custom sized and hemmed pieces of extremely thin white cloth made which are with the surfaces to this day. The custom sized cloths are MUCH easier to deal with than the stack of small sized sheets of tissue.

As to minimum and maximum temperatures, I'm not one to go by.
I'm an hour outside Toronto, Ontario which may give you a notion of our area's temperatures; think Buffalo, New York. As far as hot, nothing like your southern states. I've treated these 'right' all these years. Anything much over 70 or under 40 and they're not left in the van. If they're not out earning their keep they live here in the basement. If they go to work in the winter I let them acclimatise before unfolding to avoid potential cracking. I suspect mine are excellent examples of how long they'll last with care.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back