Saying for event of Emerg.

Ant_307

Hi all what do you say in the begging of the show to let people know where the exits are?

Ball State has a nice generic announcement that is easy to customize for your space/show. For the most part the announcement are all a variation on this, just specific to what you need to say. I can still pretty much recite the one we used in college because I heard it so many times.

Good evening/afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Ball State University, The College of Fine Arts, and the Department of Theatre and Dance welcome you to this evening/afternoon’s production of _________ in University/Strother/The Cave Theater. At this time we ask that you turn off all cell phones and pagers, and please refrain from any photography of this performance, as it is prohibited by law. Please be advised that this production contains:
  • Fog
  • Haze
  • Smoke
  • Strobe effects
  • Gunshots and/or loud, sudden noises
  • Mature language and themes
  • Nudity
  • Graphic Violence
  • Is intended for mature audiences only
For the unlikely event of an emergency, please take a moment to locate the exit nearest to you. And now, sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

Ball State has a nice generic announcement that is easy to customize for your space/show. For the most part the announcement are all a variation on this, just specific to what you need to say. I can still pretty much recite the one we used in college because I heard it so many times.
Thank you

On behalf of The Department of Theatre Arts and Dance we would like to welcome you to _______ Theater. At this time we ask you to silence all electronic devices. Smoking eating or drinking are prohibited in our theaters. Video or flash photography are strictly prohibited. Please be aware that if you leave the auditorium during the performance, you will be readmitted at the discretion of the House Manager. _______ Theater is equipped with four emergency exits indicated by the red illuminated exit signs. Please take a moment to find the nearest one to your location. Thank you and enjoy the show.

This usually happens at the start of house to half. Seems everyone quiets down and takes their seats then.

We go a bit more generic, as this I do many more conferences and lectures than stage productions.

"Welcome to _______. At this time, we ask that you please silence your cell phones. We also ask that you take a moment to locate the emergency exits, both in front of or behind you. (Storm season only: "In the event of severe weather, we will proceed to the first floor interior classrooms.") Thank you, and enjoy today's event."

Same timing as mentioned above. It serves pretty well as the cue to take your seats.

We have the above pre-recorded, but also have a sheet in the booth with pre-written announcements for fire, medical, and weather emergencies, and a map that we go over with the event organizer pre-show. The last thing that I need to do in an actual emergency is try to come up with announcement wording on-the-fly.

While we're on the topic, is there anyone else out there that does the Severe Weather part? We've been erring on the side of caution and including it in the pre-show announcement. If/when it would become necessary, we would do another announcement anyway. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back