Scenic Automation

We're thinking about how to move small(5ft) light scenery pieces(foam) across the stage without stagehands. Can this be done for under $6000? Any suggestions? We have nothing in the area of scenic automation.

I know someone mentioned this already in the other thread and they chimed in, but give creative connors a call. They're a great company, automation and motion is their thing. We've fabricated some of their stuff in the past for them and they're small enough that they really take care of you @PeterV

Does "no stagehands" mean no staff, or nobody on stage? The old fashioned low budget reliable way would be draw ropes or push rods. Is either of those an option?

It might be a good project for a college robotics class, assuming there's no risk of harm to cast, crew, or audience.

Thanks for the push rods idea. I thought of that too, but I'm not sure what I think of it.
The plan for the foam pieces was to anchor them to a short wagon, but that would only serve to stand the piece up. If we used animation, they could be secured in another way.
Your idea about draw ropes is something I'm still toying with.
Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks for the push rods idea. I thought of that too, but I'm not sure what I think of it.
The plan for the foam pieces was to anchor them to a short wagon, but that would only serve to stand the piece up. If we used animation, they could be secured in another way.
Your idea about draw ropes is something I'm still toying with.
Thanks for your help everyone!

There are a ton of options that can be accomplished with a low number of folks and technology. building a guide slot into the floor is pretty easy. you can then pull the piece across the stage via a rope under the stage connected to a travel dog. you could have the rod permanently attached to the dog so that the foam pieces slip on and off it.

I keep thinking if all foam and very light, there are probably some RC cars or trucks - check tracked vehicles - that would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back