School of Rock D.I.Y. Strip Lights

Swade White

Hello all you wonderful people of ContolBooth, my theatre is doing school of rock soon and I need some help on the lighting. In the video below, you can see the real School of Rock set. There are those strip lights on the truss that make that cool effect, and I want to make this in our version of the show. But of course we don't have the budget that a broadway show has, so I'm trying to figure out how to make these cheaply. (No more than $300?)

I want them to be able to dim (it doesn't need to be great dimming) and if they can change colors, that would be a major plus. This may be asking too much, but if there is a way to make that fade effect that would be great. My ideas are some cheap LED's behind a defused gel. This means I can get the dimming, color changing, and maybe the fade if I individually control the LED's and make a chase on the light board. Any suggestions are welcome!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would start with some RGB led strip lights and a DMX to strip light controller. You can buy the strips for around $3 a meter. And then as many controllers as you need to break up your strips into different "fixtures." They also sell extension cables and ends so you could have strip 1 run for 3 feet, then strip 2 run for 3 feet, jump strip one to the other side of strip 2, and keep alternating.

I would start with some RGB led strip lights and a DMX to strip light controller. You can buy the strips for around $3 a meter. And then as many controllers as you need to break up your strips into different "fixtures." They also sell extension cables and ends so you could have strip 1 run for 3 feet, then strip 2 run for 3 feet, jump strip one to the other side of strip 2, and keep alternating.

This is a great idea, but do you know where you would find a DMX strip light controller? Would this one work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OFSWRU4/?tag=controlbooth-20

Last edited:
This is a great idea, but do you know where you would find a DMX strip light controller? Would this one work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OFSWRU4/?tag=controlbooth-20
Yep, that's the type I've used and seen used most often for single channels. This type works well for controlling multiple strings (8) of LED tape. They also sell them in an enclosure, but I can't seem to find any on Amazon right now. Don't forget that you'll also need a power supply. I like this one for projects using more than 1 length of tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back