Seeking advice regarding wireless lav systems

Mumford67

I currently am serving as the technical director for a small community theatre. Out of 7 Electro-Voice RE-2 wireless lavalier systems the group started with, only four remain functional (the other three with transmitters having given way to moisture damage through less than stellar care).

So we are looking to start rebuilding our wireless audio system. While this will be a long term and gradual project for the group, we are looking to start purchasing additional wireless lavalier systems to increase our working stock of units. However, the current budget we are looking at only sits around $1,700.

I'm thinking the best bet for now is probably to seek out replacement transmitters for the three out-of-commission EV RE-2s, as I doubt we could find decent transmitter/receiver combos for a comparable cost, and then purchase Countryman B3 mics to pair with them. That should get us back to the seven working units and leaving about $200 left in the budget.

However, I am open to alternate suggestions. Are there decent mic-less transmitter/receiver systems that could be paired with the Countrymans that would be comparable in cost to the replacement RE-2 transmitters? If not, moving forward, what should we be considering is a starting cost for a reasonably priced but decent full wireless set (assuming we will be replacing the stock lav with the B3s)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Stuart

The RE-2 system operates in two frequency bands. A - 648 - 676 MHz and B - 696 - 724 MHz

Band B is already unavailable due to the previous auction of those frequencies. The FCC is currently considering the sale of some or all of the 600 MHz spectrum.

Therefore, I submit, it's time to move on and begin building a new system. Audio Technica's 3000 series has two frequency bands our of the danger area and can be had well under your proposed budget. The alternative would be to go digital.

AKG WMS 470 have 3 legal Bands available. Close to the same price range also. Guitar sets have no mic, and you can choose which you want to add to the body pack. I know Shure also has options in that price range. Watch your white space.

I don't know how the EV mics are wired, but it would be nice if you could find a wiring system for the new mics that was in some way compatible with the EV's you intend to keep, even if an adapter is required, which I know is available with countryman sometimes.

The RE-2 is still a current product, so it should be easy enough to buy new transmitters. By sticking with the RE-2, you will save money and be able to any lav mics you already have. Check to see what bands your receivers are in, and run a frequency coordination check to make sure there is enough empty spectrum in your location, before investing any money. TV spectrum has changed a lot. If you haven't used these systems in a few years, the once clean channels may not be now.

Yes, just getting transmitters is the more efficient plan for now if you have the frequencies. Are you in Band A?

We are in Band A and, despite a rather crowded media environment, have had pretty good experience finding open channels when needed. E-V's frequency finder also shows that we are currently pretty safe where we are. But then again, we've rarely had more than 12 wireless units running concurrrently. As our productions grown more complex, our need for increased bandwidth space will also grow.

It is about twice the cost to buy a 3000 series Audio-Technica combo than it is to buy the E-V transmitter pack only ($400 v $200). So, the transmitter packs make the most financial sense in the short run. As per BillESC's post, however, how concerned should I be that 6-12 months down the road, we may be unable to use some or all of the frequencies that we are currently able to take advantage of? Since our operating budget is limited, I'm hesitant to be frugal in the short run if it means being left empty handed only a short time down the road.

Just to chime in on prices for a new system. Last December I purchased a set up of 8 Shure ULXP14/50 for $7,800. Got a bit of a discount because the distributor was ordering in bulk from Shure, I paid a little bit more for some bells and whistles to make the rack suit my needs and for them to assemble everything. You would have to add the additional cost for the B3s. I probably could have shopped around, done the work myself, and saved a couple dollars here or there, but I needed the system ASAP and I really like working with that company.
FYI, this was the price for the fully functioning system. Everything I needed to plug and play (and a little more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back