Sennheiser ew100 Generation 1 Display Issue

Javaman11

Hello All -

I have a Sennheiser ew100 Generation 1 with a display (photo attached) that shows missing segments (I believe the proper term used is "ghost segments"). Has anyone here had this problem and what the remedy might be? I am capable of soldering/desoldering anything if need be. I understand it's an older unit - just prefer to get it corrected if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 162
No new parts and Sennheiser no longer repairs Gen I. Good luck.

Back in the 80's I used to work on a production bench repairing calculators that often had this problem. The way that the connection is made to the LCD from the controller is often via an elastomeric conductor, which is a rubber strip with carbon fibres in it. The glass and the PCB sandwich the strip, and it's them clamped together. if the conconnections get dirty or aren't well clamped, you can get this problem. So if reseating ribbons/connectors and looking for dry joints doesn't help, you might have to dismantle the metal frame and clean the board, the glass and the elastomer, then reassemble it. It's fiddly work. Not sure what solvent you might use to use to clean it, though. We used to use trichlorethane or trichlorotrifluorethane, but I suspect that's frowned upon these days. You want something that won't attack the elastomer, and leaves no residue. I guess isopropanol might work.

Last edited:
Typically I'm not one to say it's time... but an ew100 G1 shouldn't owe you anything at this point in it's life... As we're 3 generations down the line now it might be a better investment in time to say thank you for all that it's heard and to move on to a new kit...

If all else fails, you can of course just operate them by braille, so to speak, without reference to the displays. That is admittedly none to convenient for certain operations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back