Control/Dimming Sensor Dimming Trouble

Fadeout

So I've just started working at another theater in our school district and they've got some interesting issues. They have their own student stage crew, but they lost their adviser this year due to budget cuts so now my fellow crew members and I are getting called in to handle the tech for their rental events.

Here's the problem. Their theater has three sensor racks with CEM (not +) modules installed. It's a fairly typical theater with two sets of tree lights on each of the side walls in the house, an AP, and three electrics above the stage. There are also numerous floor dimmers backstage. In addition to the stage lighting circuits, both the incandescent house lights and mercury vapor lights are on dimmers. Their primary lighting position is in a very nice, very spacious upstairs tech booth in the back of the theater.

Two of their Sensor racks are located underneath the stage in a basement, and their third rack is located 2 stories beneath the light booth in a basement. The first 40 circuits (which are all downstage of the proscenium) go to the rack underneath the light booth, with the rest of their dimmers going to the racks underneath the stage. The two stage dimmer racks control all of the lights upstage of the procinium, the one beneath the light booth controls the 40 stage lighting circuits that are downstage of the proscenium as well as all of the incandescent house lights and mercury vapor lights.

So here's where the drama comes in: I'm told that a couple of years ago their dimmer racks were knocked out by some kind of lighting storm. A technician from the company who originally installed their Sensor racks came in and half-way fixed everything, but that company has since gone out of business. The first 40 dimmers on the Sensor rack underneath the lighting booth were originally assigned to dimmers 1-40, with the house light dimmers (that occupy the same rack) assigned to much later channels, not sure of the exact number but something above 160. That left the first rack underneath the stage starting with 41 and the second rack starting with 137.

The technician who reset their dimmers got the dimmers under the stage configured correctly but failed epically with the rack under the light booth. He left this rack assigned to start with dimmer 1, which means that the first 40 dimmers were fine, but until this afternoon about half of the circuits on their 1st electric (dimmers 41-50ish) would also raise houselights. Out of the 36 that were originally installed across each electric, their crew has been operating for the past 2 years with about 6-12 dimmers on their first electric, not knowing what the problem was or how to fix it.

Today I came in and, after running several dimmer checks, figured out the problem. I gave their 3rd dimmer rack a starting dimmer number of 201 which immediately solved the problem. However, despite my best attempts I cannot find a way to get the first 40 dimmers to respond to DMX 1-40 and the rest to respond to a different range. It seems to me that this should be possible because that was how their theater was configured before the lightning storm and they never had problems. Anybody know how to do this? For right now I just told them to remember that circuits 1-40 are now dimmers 201-240 (with the stage lights resuming with 41 afterwords.) However, it would be great if we could get it back working the way its supposed to be.

Does anyone know if its possible to run two different sets of dimmer addresses off of one CEM, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Sensor CMUs can take two separate DMX sources (Port A and B) that can have independent DMX start and dimmer start addresses, so my guess as to how they did it would be that that both inputs were paralleled and the first 40 dimmers were driven from port A and port B was address shifted to run the house light dimmers. However I would recommend that you give ETC tech support a call as they keep records of everything and I would bet that they have your settings in a file somewhere.

Dover

from the CEM manual on their webpage:

Standard Mode uses a DMX Start address to set the first DMX512 channel
number used. Beginning with the Start address, the CEM applies one DMX
channel per Unique Dimmer Number (UD#) until all the dimmers in the rack
have levels.
Advanced Mode has a Start and End address for each DMX port. Only DMX
channel levels between the Start and End addresses are used. Each DMX port
can control a separate dimmer set using the First Dimmer Affected setting.
Advanced mode also enables you to set priority levels for input ports and
backup looks. See Advanced DMX addressing mode on page 10 for details.

Advanced DMX addressing mode
Advanced mode enables complex lighting control systems to use multiple
control sources with overlapping or split dimmer assignments.
DMX512 port start and end addresses and First Dimmer Affected numbers
In Advanced mode you can set separate DMX start and end addresses for port
A and B. You also set separate First Dimmer Affected numbers for each input
port. These settings allow you to apply a specific portion of each DMX port’s
512 channels to a specific set of dimmers in a rack. Each port can control a
separate set of dimmers, or overlap dimmer control assignments.

So, Dover, it looks like you're right.

So here's where the drama comes in: I'm told that a couple of years ago their dimmer racks were knocked out by some kind of lighting storm. A technician from the company who originally installed their Sensor racks came in and half-way fixed everything, but that company has since gone out of business. The first 40 dimmers on the Sensor rack underneath the lighting booth were originally assigned to dimmers 1-40, with the house light dimmers (that occupy the same rack) assigned to much later channels, not sure of the exact number but something above 160. That left the first rack underneath the stage starting with 41 and the second rack starting with 137.

The technician who reset their dimmers got the dimmers under the stage configured correctly but failed epically with the rack under the light booth. He left this rack assigned to start with dimmer 1, which means that the first 40 dimmers were fine, but until this afternoon about half of the circuits on their 1st electric (dimmers 41-50ish) would also raise houselights. Out of the 36 that were originally installed across each electric, their crew has been operating for the past 2 years with about 6-12 dimmers on their first electric, not knowing what the problem was or how to fix it.

Today I came in and, after running several dimmer checks, figured out the problem. I gave their 3rd dimmer rack a starting dimmer number of 201 which immediately solved the problem. However, despite my best attempts I cannot find a way to get the first 40 dimmers to respond to DMX 1-40 and the rest to respond to a different range. It seems to me that this should be possible because that was how their theater was configured before the lightning storm and they never had problems. Anybody know how to do this? For right now I just told them to remember that circuits 1-40 are now dimmers 201-240 (with the stage lights resuming with 41 afterwords.) However, it would be great if we could get it back working the way its supposed to be.

Does anyone know if its possible to run two different sets of dimmer addresses off of one CEM, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Fadeout,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your system. Unfortunately, splitting a rack is a custom programming setting that must be done with a technician who has the appropriate software as well as the adapter to send that configuration from a computer to the CEM.

In your case, it sounds like the technician who came to service the site after the lightning strike was unaware that the rack held a custom configuration and when they "fixed" it, they erased that configuration.

Don't fear, there is hope however. Depending on how that technician erased the configuration and your system layout, it may be possible to retrieve that configuration from one of the other racks across the ETCLink network.

We (ETC) also keep pretty good records about our jobsites including the original configuration that was initially installed in most cases. We may have your configuration on file, and if so, we can send it to a technician to load it into your rack.

Finally, it is possible for a technician to recreate your configuration and load it in to your CEM in the event that we do not have a copy on file.

Please give us a call at 800-688-4116 Mon-Fri 8a-5p CDT so we can look up your site and get you on the right path again.

It seems more likely that the problem is not in the racks but is a softpatch issue in the console. Even with three SR48 racks that are fully populated you still have under one universe of dimmers. So as long as the starting address of each rack is higher than the previous rack then all should be fine! Assuming you have fully populated SR48 racks, your first rack would be 1-96, rack two would be 97-192, and rack three would be 193-288. Then just patch your dimmers to the channels you want them at. If you want your house lights on channels 1-40, you can do that in the console even if they are on the last 40 dimmer of rack three.

The odds are far more likely that a softpatch was setup rather than splitting a rack into two ranges.

Or they could be on relay modules, just on and off.

Or they could have been installed by a genius who put them on a dimmer anyways.

Are we talking 48 or 96 dimmer sensor racks? Depending on which way you have it, I'd think that it would make sense to start with which ever rack makes sense and have the first start at 1, the second start at 97, and the third start at... 193?

Or if youre running off 48 dimmers, have the first start at 1, second at 48, and the third start at 97. Unless I'm completely missing something here.

Thank you so much for your insights and suggestions everyone. Because of my crazy schedule I haven't been able to get back into that theater since I posed the question, but I am looking forward to trying the split dmx port idea when I do get a chance. If it doesn't work, I'll call ETC. At this point everything is in workable condition. I don't think it's a softpatch issue because of the way the physical outlets are labled. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your insights and suggestions everyone. Because of my crazy schedule I haven't been able to get back into that theater since I posed the question, but I am looking forward to trying the split dmx port idea when I do get a chance. If it doesn't work, I'll call ETC. At this point everything is in workable condition. I don't think it's a softpatch issue because of the way the physical outlets are labled. Thanks again!

starksk said:
Unfortunately, splitting a rack is a custom programming setting that must be done with a technician who has the appropriate software as well as the adapter to send that configuration from a computer to the CEM.

You might want to just try calling ETC to start...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back