Shielding dmx cable

peacefulone61

So I have a movible height grid. I am looking to install to DMX lines to the grid. I can come up with three possible solutions. I am not sure which one makes the most sense.

Option one would be a homerun from the OPTi splitter. This would be run down the trunk lines that feed the circuit boxes from the dimmer rack. I am not sure though if I need to shield the cable before I attach it to the powerlines.

Option two would be the same set up but with ethernet and nodes

Option three would be to get to extension cord schools that sort of self ratchet and run the DMX through this. My concern with this set up would be potential strain on the DMX cable.

Any thoughts or options that I might not have considered would be greatly appreciated

You seem to be skipping wireless. Depending on environment - the spectrum i think is the word - a very clean answer.

I like StageNinja cord reels. Check them out. I prefer cord reels in the retriever vonfig, with reel on moving piece and cord hung with a kellums strain relief.

Simplest wired if you have the clearance - put a round pan on the grid and let it vollect the cable. Ive used the heavy black rubber like ones from farm stores, but that involved power cords. Id look at farm stores, rubbermaid, and such.

You seem to be skipping wireless. Depending on environment - the spectrum i think is the word - a very clean answer.

I like StageNinja cord reels. Check them out. I prefer cord reels in the retriever vonfig, with reel on moving piece and cord hung with a kellums strain relief.

Simplest wired if you have the clearance - put a round pan on the grid and let it vollect the cable. Ive used the heavy black rubber like ones from farm stores, but that involved power cords. Id look at farm stores, rubbermaid, and such.

Because wireless should be the last option, especially for a permanent install.

I would bundle it with the power cables that feed the truss. As far as cat5 vs DMX, I'd say it depends on how you intend to use the truss and how much data you anticipate putting on it. cat5/ethernet will be much more futureproof.

I would not try to retrofit a retractor designed for 120/power. There's some sort of slip ring designed into them that translates the power into the spinny bits, and I'd be concerned that the signal would degrade quite a bit as it's not designed to transfer data.

Thank you for all of the thoughts

Bill I had not considered using Wireless, mostly because I have been warned against it for a permanent install. However I love the stageninja reels and will be looking at these for a few other areas as well.

It sounds like I can attach the cable with the power feeds which will be the easiest option for my setup.

I'm not that afraid of wireless but running a dmx line wire tied to feeders is a good solution. I have been using ethernet and 4 port nodes rather than splitters and like the expandability and flexibility that comes at very little premium plus the convenience of POE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back