Conventional Fixtures Should my Altman EC1's be creating smoke?

My school recently purchased three new Altman EC1 cyc fixtures. I installed the new bulb and was stupid enough to get my fingerprints on it (cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol). I did not put the gels in and plugged it into the dimmer for testing. I was surprised when it became to smoke and unplugged it. I phoned up the folks at the distributor and they told me that the bulb is going through a burn in cycle of some sorts (I guess you expect that from new bulbs and fixtures). Is it really supposed to smoke like this? and if it is... how long should it be going on for? will it do it again? will each of our new cycs do it?

also... can I sit the EC1s on the ground? they say they are both ground and sky cycs.

They will smoke for a bit. It is the oil left from the cutting process burning off as well as the paint "baking". Take all of your fixtures, hang them somewhere well ventilated, turn them all on at at full for a half an hour, and you should be good to go after that. I would take out your lamp, clean it with rubbing alcohol, and put it back in using a lent free cloth or the foam the lamp was shipped in. That should get ya there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back