Show Run Essentials

Um, how old are these safety plans? The US hasn't exactly been in grave danger of a nuclear attack since the Cold War.

A nucular attack, on the other hand, occured during one of Sarah Palin's speeches during the democratic primary... (cheap shot, but it was worth it.)

Actually not that old. Its not a very detailed plan, because what everyone knows is that its over once the ICBMs start flying. Anyhow, we should have a nucular attack plan too, being a liberal christian school... sometimes the college republicans like the remind us of how good Bush and Palin would be to us... (no one ever said you had to be smart to do college).

I did the craftsman locking utility knife thing for a while. Stop, go buy yourself a good knife like the Kershaw Scallion. the craftsman was nice only because I could dish out abuse, but I was amazed at just how much better a nice folder was. The only thing about the scallion is that is an assisted blade and I am not really sure how that works with local and federal law, besides that I fully stand by that knife as an EDC.
You are fine with a spring assisted knife, I have several and have checked them with cops in multible states including secret service checkpoint. SS made us house all multi tools and knives in an office during the Inaugural ball itself, before and after was fine.

So we had a rental yesterday, a dance recital. During the fifth "Act" (of seven, blech) the call comes over the coms: "The lights back here just went out. We can't see anything. Turn them back on." I almost said "why don't you have a flashlight," but I caught myself.

Anyway. I always have my Leatherman Charge TTi, (in that same pouch I have: Leatherman Serac2 LED flashlight, Gerber Shard pry tool, Zebra F301 Compact pen), my phone in a holster, Pocket: Stainless Steel Sharpie, Zebra F402 pen, Keys (a lot of times I put them in my bag and leave that in the booth), Wallet, Moleskine miniature notebook (great for writing down my sound patch, mic quantity/placement, director's notes, or lighting circuits).

I just got a 4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical flashlight. I'm having a little trouble getting it to work, I think it might be defective. 4Sevens has great customer support though.

Edit: I should mention, When I work at other places I carry a C-wrench on a lanyard. All of our fixtures have SureClamps though, so there's no reason to carry one when I'm at my main theatre.

"Stainless Steel Sharpie"

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?!? That's awesome!

Also, I use the laser pointer in case of needing to show someone something far away, it's extremely helpful because it won't draw attention unless it's pointed somewhere obvious. So say you have a run crew person who needs help, instead of pointing aimlessly across the back stage area to show another member where help is needed, you just laz the target. (Yes I feel cool when I use military terms in tech theatre. =) ). I know this question was asked a while ago, but I was out of internet service for a while.

"Stainless Steel Sharpie"

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?!? That's awesome!

You can find them at most office stores, I know every office max I've been in the last few months has had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I'm heading to Office Max then! :grin:

I usually carry a flashlight backstage, but since it's a school, I can't have my multi-tool with me. I also have my phone, ipod, and wallet on me 99% of the time including when I am not working.

At my main job: gloves and pouch with c-wrench, sharpie, leatherman, mini-mag

Freelance and/or the if you wanna use it you'll have to fix it first variety gigs:
Above plus:
Screwdriver set
precision screwdriver set
radios (2-8 depending on the gig) and earpieces
tie-line, quick clips, 20lb fishing line, ect (stuff to hang anything from a poster to a piece of plywood)
spike tape
gaff tape (black and white or neon)
e-tape
masking tape
felt/fleece black cloths (more for the sound stuff)
couple of cheapo LED flashlights
glow sticks
Sharpies in assorted colors (silver, 2-3 others)
leather and fingerless gloves
phone with numbers for local rental houses
laptop with manuals and tech support #s
Binder with show info
snacks
water
black jacket
bandaids (frankly if someone gets hurt worse than bandaids and gaff tape we're just going to call 911)
latex gloves
towel/clean shop rag
XLR cable
multimeter
zip ties
superglue
personal cd-player
headphones

EDIT: I'm REALLY glad to be out of high school... never could have multitools then (b/c clearly the 2" blade is FAR more dangerous the pens/pencils/ect)... now I don't do a show without one (including ones at schools).

EDIT: I'm REALLY glad to be out of high school... never could have multitools then (b/c clearly the 2" blade is FAR more dangerous the pens/pencils/ect)... now I don't do a show without one (including ones at schools).

You'll get in WAY more trouble as an adult carrying a multitool in a school than as a student. Just throwing that out there. Besides, you must have been doing something wrong if you couldn't keep a multitool out of site. I carried my Leatherman Skeletool every day to high school for 2 years and even used it in class; nobody batted an eye. Now that I'm not in high school, I would never carry it. We're talking jail/fine versus in-school suspension here. It's even a misdemeanor even to have a knife or any cutting instrument in your car on school property. (PA law, ymmv)

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I really felt like that needed saying.

I don't know where you went to school, but in mine I would have been suspended for at least 3 days (probably a week) if they found a knife on me. That was 10 years ago and I'm sure the rules have not gotten any more relaxed since then. As an adult I carry a multitool and a knife at every show I do (including those in middle/high schools). I've never had a single problem, even at high security federal museums and such (Ellis Island in particular). Maybe that's because when I work at high schools I act like an adult, look like one (being almost 30 and with a beard at times), and therefore get treated as one. I'm pretty sure that if a principle, or even school cop, saw me using my multitool to tighten down a microphone clip he wouldn't say anything about it.

I don't know where you went to school, but in mine I would have been suspended for at least 3 days (probably a week) if they found a knife on me. That was 10 years ago and I'm sure the rules have not gotten any more relaxed since then. As an adult I carry a multitool and a knife at every show I do (including those in middle/high schools). I've never had a single problem, even at high security federal museums and such (Ellis Island in particular). Maybe that's because when I work at high schools I act like an adult, look like one (being almost 30 and with a beard at times), and therefore get treated as one. I'm pretty sure that if a principle, or even school cop, saw me using my multitool to tighten down a microphone clip he wouldn't say anything about it.
Exactly. We're hired to do a job, and expected to bring tools needed to do that job. I said something about hope its not a problem once when I pulled mine out to cut something in front of a school director and she laughed and said it's just the kids they care about. Never seen anyone bat an eyelid at it...

Also when I was in high school we would've been in a heck of a lot of trouble (suspended for at least a week) for it, but all of the professionals they hired had pocketknives/multitools and no one batted an eye...

You'll get in WAY more trouble as an adult carrying a multitool in a school than as a student. Just throwing that out there. Besides, you must have been doing something wrong if you couldn't keep a multitool out of site. I carried my Leatherman Skeletool every day to high school for 2 years and even used it in class; nobody batted an eye. Now that I'm not in high school, I would never carry it. We're talking jail/fine versus in-school suspension here. It's even a misdemeanor even to have a knife or any cutting instrument in your car on school property. (PA law, ymmv)

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I really felt like that needed saying.

Im pretty sure that law applies to people who are picking up their kids and such... I still dont fully understand the idea behind that law, seeing as pretty much anything can be used as a weapon, in fact, a candy cane can become an incredibly lethal device in about 10 minutes. The fact you never got caught is amazing, we had kids get suspended for a week under the zero tolerance policies for having a pen knife (the little one that has an inch and a half blade), on the grounds that they had a weapon... Even though my scissors are more dangerous. Whatever. Point is, if your working on a job in the school, its more than likely you can have whatever you might need to do the job, anywhere from a pocket knife/multi-tool to an oxy-gas torch, and most things in-between, as was mentioned above. Im pretty sure the law either has exceptions for people working there or something... Here in MI I never had a problem with a tool belt full of lethal devices, from screwdrivers to scissors to a splicing knife to a leatherman, plus all the other things that you can make leathal real quick, and the school saw me and the TD bringing this in and printed us visitor badges, didnt even blink.

Im pretty sure that law applies to people who are picking up their kids and such... I still dont fully understand the idea behind that law, seeing as pretty much anything can be used as a weapon, in fact, a candy cane can become an incredibly lethal device in about 10 minutes. The fact you never got caught is amazing, we had kids get suspended for a week under the zero tolerance policies for having a pen knife (the little one that has an inch and a half blade), on the grounds that they had a weapon... Even though my scissors are more dangerous. Whatever. Point is, if your working on a job in the school, its more than likely you can have whatever you might need to do the job, anywhere from a pocket knife/multi-tool to an oxy-gas torch, and most things in-between, as was mentioned above. Im pretty sure the law either has exceptions for people working there or something... Here in MI I never had a problem with a tool belt full of lethal devices, from screwdrivers to scissors to a splicing knife to a leatherman, plus all the other things that you can make leathal real quick, and the school saw me and the TD bringing this in and printed us visitor badges, didnt even blink.

Title 18 § 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section
907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes
of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument,
cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument
or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses
a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing
transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational
institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department
of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction
with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
purpose.

So section C is what protects us. Though I guess the real protection is that nobody cares because (theoretically) we're professionals who know what we're doing.

Last edited:
The administration knows all of us student techs personally at the school and doesn't think much of it when the few of us are using a leatherman to cut zipties, or a pocket knife to open a box. Now if any other kid were to have a leatherman out during school hours...

Wow. That law has a VERY vage definition of a weapon. Im pretty sure I could get half the school and most of the teachers arrested on that if I were a prosecuter...

Things i carry on me when working at church

really tiny LED AAA Focusable Penlight with small rope (really bright for being so tiny when used in close spaces where i need it and for when my Enercell is too bright or unusable, which it is bright for being 84 lumens and so small.)

Enercell Mini Flashlight

Mini Multi-tool (small tiny pen sized light, phillips or a 3/4 screwdriver head, corkscrew (dont use that much) and a 2 inch knife blade (gets the job done for cutting the gaff tape, etc.) cheap peice of junk hoping to get a Leatherman or a Swiss Army some time (any recommendations and under $60 sorry if this isnt the place)

Flash Drive 8GB Lexar Stick Drive

Keys and Whistle on carabiner usually along with my penlight when working on lighting, as well as a small roll of electrical tape that i EDC (hey electrical tape comes in handy everywhere, so i carry a small roll)

Cell Phone in old PDA Holster, just wish it was a swivel but then again kind of glad that sometimes it isnt when up above and a really good velcro strap, as well as 32GB Ipod Touch, also fits with cell Phone in Holster sometimes if it needs to)

Apple Head phones w/ remote in small wind up case, pretty conveinent

4AAA spares in small pocket id holder thingy with rear zippered pocket, usually where my flash drive, multi tool and pen light go, as well as ID and small comb, just in case i need a quick battery change. Also sits on my carabiner sometimes via a o ring when up above for small nuts and such.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back